Vehicle Recommendation to buy/lease in 2022 under $50k?

yes

has a permanent battery you have to charge. you can drive on battery only or gas + battery combo which makes the gas last much much longer. the sorrento and the santa fe have small battery capacity so they’re good for short trips or boosting the gas mileage.

1 Like

One more question please. If I drive with Gas + Battery combo, do I have to charge the electric battery through the outlet or when using as a combo with Gas, the electric battery keeps charging automatically without the outlet?

With a phev, you typically start the day like an ev. You plugged it in overnight, so you have a battery full of charge. I believe the electric only range of the sorento is around 30 miles. For those 30 miles, its basically an ev (unless you step on the gas hard enough that the gas engine needs to come on to augment).

When it runs out, it then behaves like a normal hybrid, with regenerative braking building some charge and it using gas and electric to help you go.

When they quote the mpg rating, thats after the battery is ran down and its acting as a mild hybrid.

The batteries are never actually empty, but they do get too low to allow for electric only use.

The benefit is that if you do lots of short drives with opportunities to charge, the gas engine may never even come on.

On longer trips, you have the gas engine for long range.

1 Like

There is a Santa Fe Limited PHEV available for $48k MSRP and $2k Market Adjustment, plus taxes. This is $4k cheaper than Kia Sorento PHEV ($52k MSRP)

What does everyone say now?

Another question please, if I buy this vehicle in New York and take it to Illinois, cuz I am moving to Illinois end of July, will I have to pay taxes again in Illinois, does anyone know?

Personally, id pay the extra $4k for the sorento still, because i like it significantly more than the sante fe, but i think thats a much better option than the gas sante fe.

1 Like

I’d do that over a gas Santa Fe. $4k doesn’t seem too bad of a delta and $2k ADM isn’t out of line with where we’re at on those vehicles.

EDIT: just realized this is before the credit. That means the PHEV is basically less expensive than the gas one. Also I misread and thought the $4k delta was gas to PHEV Santa Fes. Doesn’t materially change my thoughts though.

3 Likes

out of curiosity, why do you like it so much more? trim lines being equal and all.

The sante fe feels cheap and a decade old. The current generation doesnt feel like much more than a mid cycle refresh from the 2012 (i know it actually chsnged generations in 2018) and it feels intentionally down market from the palisade. I know the materials in the limited are nice, but the over all design language just feels cheap. The sorento is unique, interesting, and forward looking.

1 Like

interesting. what gives you this impression? i drove both and didn’t really feel that at all. in fact it was sort of the opposite - that the santa fe, at least in the calligraphy trim, seemed like the better option and got better gas mileage. not comparing looks of course, as neither of them are exactly what you’d consider as being sleek.

i’ve never seen a sorrento in the high end trims at the dealerships here so i have yet to compare them in person. online they seem rather similar.

also, i have no artistic skills, so i can’t even comprehend something like “design language”.

1 Like

Kia and Hyundai trims tend to line up pretty well, so for the same MSRP you should be getting most of the same features. So this makes me wonder if you’re really comparing apples to apples?

Is it actually cheaper or is it one trim lower with fewer features?

Personally I’d search inventory for the lowest PHEV trim for either one and try to find the lowest OTD price based on that. I don’t need remote parking assist (frankly my license should be revoked if I did) and kids in car seats don’t need heated and ventilated second row seats.

2 Likes

To me, the sante fe is the definition of generic amorphous blob. The interior is big mounds of non-descript shapes with a small tablet glued on with little interest in integration. Theres little in the way of contrasting materials or effort into being distinctive.

Other than the headlight/grill treatments, hyundai didnt take any risks or do anything memorable.

hyundai is an efficiently boring company.

They have lots of interesting products on the market currently. The sante fe is a snooze fest.

Just coming back from the Hyundai Dealership in NJ. Almost bought the Limited Santa Fe PHEV for $48k MSRP, plus $2k Market Adjustment. Total $50k without taxes, license and document fees.

Filled out the application and when signing the contract we noticed that they were charging us $1000 for document fees and clerk fee. I didn’t want to pay $1000 and offered $500 to pay as the document fee. The dealer didn’t agree and we left the dealership.

The total cost of the car with taxes and all was about $54k, the dealer was too greedy for $500 when I am already paying $2k over MSRP in market adjustments. The search continues…

Any feedback on this experience, what does everyone here think about what other fees should we pay the dealer and how much should that fees be? All I know is MSRP + Market Adjustment + Sales Tax + DMV Fees + Document fees. Am i missing something here, should we pay $800 to $1000 for document and clerk fee?

Doc fees vary by state as to whats normal/legal. Here in FL, $800 is normal. In NY, there is a legal limit to what it can be. Where were you shopping?

I was in NJ

Why are you negotiating at the dealership?

1 Like

Sorry, didnt get it. What are you suggesting?

The dealer was charging $275 in document fee and the rest as clerk fee.

There is no such thing as “how much should it be.”

Your job is to find the lowest OTD total. And to do so before you ever step into a dealership again.

1 Like