Vehicle Recommendation to buy/lease in 2022 under $50k?

That’s a bizarre philosophy. If a feature is useless to me, it has 0 value to me.

It’s actually negative because it increased the price for no discernible benefit.

2 Likes

It is just like HUD (Heads up display) not many use it, but nice to have. And I totally agree with your point.

you mean the overhead parking camera that the higher end hyundai’s have? the sorrento sx has it as well. kia calls it “surround view monitor”. here:

its about half way down on the right.

I assume the OP is talking about remote self-parking.

oh the remote smart parking assist. im not exactly sure what the excitement over that is.

op why the limited and not the caligraphy? or why not the hybrid limited?

Calligraphy for just $2000 more, you get HUD (Heads up display) and larger rims. Actually I like the calligraphy option for just another $2k, why not. And, very hard to find Santa Fe Hybrid.

I have a problem even thinking of Kia Sorento PHEV (above) being $52k, PLUS 2k market adjustment, PLUS taxes, we are talking about almost $58k for a car with 1.6L engine. Kia Sorento for 58K, I cannot digest that price.

I would rather buy a Palisade or Telluride which would cost me less than owing a Sorento PHEV that will cost me $58k. I know there is tax credit too, but still, just thinking about Kia Sorento for 58k just does not sound right.

Fortunately it isnt because of the tax credit.

2 Likes

Yes, but even with the tax credit, if I add another $3k, I can get a Palisade or Telluride.

Price out your actual cost of ownership by the time youre done filling up that paluride with $6+/gallon gas.

1 Like

Yes, exactly why I am thinking of Santa Fe and not Palisade or Telluride.

Ok, compare the sante fe against the sorento phev then for actual fuel/electricity costs.

With my commute/electricity costs, a sante fe would cost me a good 15 cents more per mile just to make it go.

Yes, a difference of 8 to 10 miles per gallon, but I am paying $9k more for Santro PHEV. Plus, the amount of driving I do (mostly local), I wont save more than $80 a month with PHEV, that is almost $1k per year, in 5 year I would save $5k.

I probably would sell Santa Fe before 5 years and even if I sell it at 5 year, I would have spent $5k extra in fuel if compared to Santro PHEV. That is still $4k less than what I would actually pay for Santro PHEV. Selling hybrids after 5 year of use is a tough task, people are scared to touch a 5 year old Hybrid due to the battery price and all. Based on my personal experience (Lexus GS450h), you loose the extra $10k that you pay for Hybrid when selling it as a used car. You would get $1k to $2k more than a non-hybrid model.

If thats the case, youre unlikely to use much of any gas at all with the sorento meaning youll do significantly better than 8 miles per gallon better

I remember that with GS450h (it gave me 33 to 34 mpg), i only used to fill the tank twice a month. With a non hybrid Santa Fe, I will need to fill 3 times and that is why I added the extra $80/month for fuel for Santa Fe.

The gs450h isnt a phev.

Filling the gas tank on the sante fe at current gas prices is roughly a $100 per fill affair.

That assumes roughly 1200 miles of driving.

At roughly 80 mpge, assuming a $.12/kwh cost, youd have about $60 in charging costs to travel the same distances, saving you about $250 per month.

At $250/mo, your break even point between the $49k sante fe and the $51.5k sorento ($58k less $6500 tax credit) would be 10 months. Keep it 5 years and youre talking a $12500 savings over the sante fe at current fuel prices.

Santa Fe is $49K out of the door with everything (including taxes, Market Adjustment), but Sorento $52k is just the sticker price, excluding Market Adjustment, taxes, licenses.

Not sure how you got at $250 a month savings with PHEV. Paying $9k over and saving about $12k in 5 years and then not really getting any equity for selling it as a used hybrid. It would still sell as about the same as the non-hybrid model.

9k vs 12k savings in 5 years, its not a huge difference over the period of 5 years, either I pay $12k more in gas cost for Santa Fe or pay 9k more upfront for Sorento PHEV and then save that $12K over the period of 5 years. I do not see a huge benefit here, I am basically saving $2k to $3k with Sorento PHEV over a period of 5 years and that is only if your calculation is on spot. Do I make sense?

No, because you keep saying the sorento is $9k more, when its only $2500 more since there is $6500 in tax incentive.

And the $12k in gas savings is after covering that $2500.

The math to get to that number is 3 tanks a month at $100 per tank (18 gallons at $5.50/gallon) is $18000 in fuel over 5 years.

At 23-24 mpg that the sante fe is rated at, youre talking about 1200 miles per month.

If you are doing nothing but short, local drives to get there, you can do that on the electric range of the sorento phev, which is rated at 79 mpge.

1200 miles at 79 mpge is 500 kWh. At $.12 per kWh, thats $60 per month or $3600 over 5 years.

That means over 5 years, youre saving $14400 in fuel costs… cover the $2500 difference in price, and you come out $11,900 ahead of the sante fe.

Personally, if you parked the sante fe and the sorento side by side and said “theyre the same total cost, pick whatever one you want”, i would sprint towards the sorento and never look back. Now do the same, but with there being a 5 digit savings on the sorento and youd be crazy to do otherwise.

4 Likes

not exactly easy to find a calligraphy either. i liked the calligraphy interior upgrade as well.

welcome to 2022. i started looking at larger cars in 2019-2020. then i thought spending $50k on a Telluride was NUTS. now, if I would have bought the car, I could probably sell it used with mileage and made some money on it. its not like it used to be man.

its all about what makes you happy. the telluride is a nice ride if you need the size. personally, i’d be doing everything i could to save on gas. everyone has their own cross to bear.

1 Like

@mllcb42
Can you please help me understand how this PHEV works. Does it work like a regular Hybrid where the battery gets charged automatically while driving? or do we always have to charge it using an outlet?

The other thing I am not able to understand is the mileage if driven on electricity and the mileage when gas combined with electric? What happens to the electric battery when its empty? Does the car then run on gas only? or does it then operate like a regular hybrid car.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a27127697/plug-in-hybrid-2019/

The point of a PHEV is that provide the benefits of a hybrid (but w/ added weight b/c of the bigger battery pack) and some of the benefits of a pure EV.

3 Likes