Valet parking a nice (rental) car

I’m renting a C8 through Turo for three days in Hawaii. I’m staying at a hotel that is valet only. It’s a nice hotel but I’m a bit concerned with leaving that kind of car with them to park.

My insurance agent has verified that my personal auto policy will extend to a Turo rental but I’m still concerned with the hassle of a claim. I declined additional coverage through Turo because it was garbage and expensive.

Does anyone have suggestions or “rules” that they follow when leaving their fancier cars with valets?

Bad information - removed

Tip them $100 to keep it out front?

5 Likes

Highly considering something like this

Doesn’t that make it the selfie queen for everyone passing through the main entrance, though? I suppose it depends on the Valets.

There was a GT500 at the Little Rock Marriott last week, and I swear it was being borderline abused with how many people were leaning up against it… :flushed:

1 Like

Based on my research I don’t think they cover Turo because it is “peer-to-peer” and not a “commercial rental company”. I have the Amex Platinum and they don’t cover it. I also called AMEX about their rental insurance you can purchase and that doesn’t cover it either. My wife has the CSR, I’ll ask her to call them.

CSP / CSR will most likely not cover you as Turo does not consider themselves as a commercial rental company.

2 Likes

Be nice to the valets and tip heavily from my experience. I want to make sure they keep the Corolla out front when I go to Mastro’s :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Your personal insurance will most likely cover, mine was going to. I had returned a Turo rental (BMW 335) and the owner claimed damage. I set up with my insurance company at the time (Progressive) and they were prepared to pay the claim. I was able to fight it with Turo and show the car was returned without damage so it never actually had to be paid.

ETA - I wouldn’t worry about Valet personally as I have never had an issue but that’s just me.

The Turo car owner is already taking the risk 24/7/365 that someone will drive the car like Ferris Bueller’s valet. Why or how is that your liability?

Make sure there is no cosmetic damage or new wear/tear each time you pick up the car; make the hotel pay if there is. otherwise you’re good.

5 Likes

When I was in college I’ve worked valet for a bit. I would totally worry if it was my personal car :slight_smile:

No one touches my car, not even the Jetta. Local dinner club is valet only, so we park before they open, open them up, and enjoy the bar for a hour before ordering dinner.

tenor

3 Likes

If you are in Waikiki there should be plenty of garages nearby that allow you to self park if you are worried about the valet not taking extra care. I will note most parking garages are very tight in HI and door dings are par for the course.

I would either emphasize to valet that they should park your rental with extra care or go to the next hotel over that has self-parking and use their garage where you can be more strategic about where you park.

2 Likes