Using a Lease to get out of Upside Down Auto Loan

I have a 2015 Escalade ESV Premium 2WD. Currently has 103K miles. We owe $31K on auto loan with 2.65% interest. Normally I would not be a fan of trading in the vehicle with negative equity but it’s starting to have mechanical issues and I’m afraid we’re just going to keep sinking money into an already sinking ship. Purchase the vehicle in 2021 at the height of the used car market craziness.

The highest offer I’ve received for trade in value has been $18K but all have ranged between $16.5-18K. I’d like to avoid eating up as much cash as possible. We have excellent credit

Based on what I’ve read on different threads here it seems that maybe a loaner or demo vehicle might be an option to offset but not entirely sure how to find those vehicles.

I would like to get another large SUV although I’m open to something mid-size as well if the deal will get me out of my nightmare vehicle. Vehicles I’m interested (prefer 3 rows for kids): Yukon, Tahoe, Infiniti QX80, Land Rover Defender 7 Seat, Nissan Armada, Lexus GX, Kia Telluride, open for other suggestions that might offer up a deal that makes sense. NO CARS

Mazda CX90 leases pretty well, not sure if 3 rows are available

Roll it over on a polestar lease and turn it in after 5 months :rofl:

Than buy/lease what you want

What you can do is take a 24 month volvo lease. Lets say you have 12k negative just to keep the math easy. The 12k is spread evenly over the 24 months. Volvo has a 6month pull ahead program. That means you get out after 18 months and the last 6 months is waived, not rolled into your new lease, but waived entirely.

This allows you to discharge 25% of your negative equity. Hell you can even use pull ahead to get into a care by volvo lease that can be terminated in 5 months

11 Likes

CX90 has 3 row, but not on the scale of a Tahoe or Escalade.

OP would have to look at Minivans to get any kind of 3rd row room.

I’m interested in learning more about what this might look like. So I would need to do the initial lease and then role into the care by volvo or this would be in addition to?

I’ll look into these thank you for the suggestion.

This discussion is moot without numbers. What’s your budget for cash down and monthly payments?

What’s a care by Volvo for an Xc90 cost these days?

it goes by state

Thank you. Any idea on Missouri?

I can put down $10-12K if needed but again trying to minimize eating up cash if at all possible. Payment wise want to be less than $950 a month.

Wait, this actually is a thing?

I am in a very similar situation, actually.

I’d consider looking at high priced EVs. You need a quality discount and the rebate can help. Higher MSRP will help with a decent discount. If you can’t do an EV, still some solid options out there.

Tailing this discussion for help as well.

1 Like

Out of curiosity OP so we can accurately gauge your pain threshold, how much was the purchase price of the 2015 Escalade in 2021?

Originally financed $42K even. This is what the bank estimated the value at during time of purchase.

What are the costs or terminating early?

Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

If you can’t find a way to get out of that $13k deficit through a lease, do you have any other funds that you can pay the $13k off with?