Used Vehicle Warranty Question

Considering possibly buying a 2021 Tahoe with 50k miles on it. Only warranty still active is the 60k power train. I know some Tahoes can be trouble thus me looking at a warranty.

I’ve begun doing some research online and in the forums. Some information is dated.

Figured I’d ask the experts if anyone from experience knows of a good warranty company that both offers appropriate coverage and is reasonably priced, unlike what the dealership will offer me.

The previous gen is fairly solid…the 5.3 with the 6 speed auto. Don’t know much about the current gen. Carmax is supposedly decent with their warranties

Are you getting enough discount vs buying a new one at a discount?

The ones that’s solid is the Vortec 4.8 and 5.3 prior to the introduction of AFM. That’s prior to 2007

I have worked really hard to get a discount on new and they just aren’t there.

This 2021 is priced below market for comparable vehicles and has taken its 3 years of depreciation (obviously it’s taken the warranty too)

Most third party warranties will attempt to disclaim large repairs. Shop around for a GM warranty. Many dealers will discount them.

In general, always get an exclusionary warranty. That means everything is covered except for the stated exclusions.

You can check Route 66 and if you do proceed get their top exclusionary one.

Do you know where to shop around? This would be a warranty directly from GM?

Thanks max_g! Do you recommend Route 66? Why so?

I recommend it as it’s pretty good (not as good as a true GM warranty), however it’s offered by the Bank (or Dealer?), it’s not something you buy online. So if they don’t offer it, you can’t get it.

And Carcomplaints says it’s a pretty good year (2021)

Can’t speak to any recent personal experience but a few years ago they covered my buddy’s car with no questions asked. The only stuff not covered was the stuff that they said from the beginning would not be covered.

Based on…? What makes one better than the other?

Mostly, the relationship with the Dealer, when I claimed on Route66 (blown engine) they put a lot of roadblocks (will only pay x/hr, Dealer wants Y/hr so Y-X out of pocket). I wouldn’t expect a true GM warranty to pay the same per hr as a 3rd party OR I would expect the dealer to lower their rates to match. The dealer has no obligation to meet the 3rd party hourly rates. Also diagnosis was at a lower rate so I had to pay for that difference as well.

When I had Honda Care and my 5yr old honda alternator blew, the HondaCare paid for the Alternator, the fried radio and I believe a wiring harness repair, all covered, no complaints.

Much like almost everything in life, you get what you pay for

2 Likes

But as 3rd party warranties go, I say they are one of the better ones, a bad inclusionary warranty will pay for gaskets but not the labor to remove the head.

Just email 10 dealers anywhere in the country…preferably out of state…one will respond with a good price. Tell them you want the GM warranty not a third party…often the push the third party because they make more off it.

1 Like

A couple of cars ago I did some research and found Route 66 coverage to be a decent balance between coverage and cost, though they have different plans for different situations.

Also at the time, for the identical Route 66 product, I found PenFed to have the best price.

https://www.penfed.org/auto/vehicle-protection-plan

With that said, if I had to choose again between paying $150 more or dealing with PenFed, next time I’d spend the extra cash.

PenFed doesn’t do anything well. First challenge you’ll face is finding anyone who knows they offer it, even after you walk them through the steps to navigate to the offering on their own web site.

And the madness won’t end there.

1 Like

Pretty much every brand-specific forum has chatter on which dealers provide the best price on warranties

Thank you everyone for the answers thus far!