Used Car Prices Spike

People with cash may still lease or buy on credit. By having cash they have the flexibility, people who are cash strapped will be backed into the corner and not have either option. The depth of this recession will shake a lot of this up and will 100% impact the auto industry and put downward pressure on sales prices (new and used). Cash is king is simply a position of liquidity, not how the buyer will ultimately finance a purchase.

This sure looks an awful lot like goal posts running all over to me.

2 Likes
  1. Wonderlic is commonly used in the automotive industry.

2. Used Car Manager - I manage between 5-10M of assets and a department of 7-ish people for a fortune 500 company (I’d consider that a big pond).

3. You don’t want to compare because you’re probably a low level analyst at Goldman Sachs that makes 75k / year and has an ego the size of the sun. Nice Volvo btw, my grandma always liked those.

4 Likes

Cash is a state of liquidity people. You can have your money in the market and if your position is positive and liquid, that is cash despite earning a good return up to that point. Having assets in a distressed asset (like real estate in 2009) on the other hand is not very liquid.

You’re either moving the goal posts at a very rapid pace or your usage of “cash is king” is completely different in context than anyone else would have used it.

1 Like

I’m here to read about cars, not argue with anyone. I truly wish you luck in this environment, it will be a tough few months for a lot of you guys.

1 Like

I’m not moving goal posts or frankly trying to argue about the meaning of the expression. The other poster quoted a small part of my previous post and went at me about it. He didn’t understand my reference.
Having cash and cash flow is very important and gives people the flexibility to act during difficult market environments, like we are currently in. My original statement was simply pointing out that those with liquidity and access to credit will be able to find deals over the next few months.

And in the context of discussing car deals, it’s usually used by those that insist on paying cash rather than utilizing financing under the belief that it will net them a better deal, which is never actually the case.

This is why I said you may be using it in a way different than everyone else here and why the response you received is different than the response you would have expected. When filtered through the context of vehicle purchasing, what people heard you say is different than what you intended to say.

2 Likes

Ok, I see what you are saying. I agree 100% cash buyers are not getting better deals than people who finance (outside of MSD or one pay lease)

Man this post got angry fast

6 Likes

That’ll happen when people are arguing about different things but think it’s the same thing.

8 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What are you watching? No spoilers, please

Isn’t that called “violently agreeing”?

:bat:

I’m no expert in used car pricing, but if more and more folks are out of work or now working remotely, wouldn’t demand for used cars in some states (like MA) drop?

Our Governor announced earlier this week that all schools will be closed for the year, and non-emergency childcare centers will be closed until June 29. The Mayor of Boston (Marty Walsh) said this week he does not have a timeline of when he will reopen Boston. This is a BIG deal. The Boston Marathon was rescheduled to September. I could go on.

Maybe I am missing something here, but I don’t see (in the long term) a continued spike of used car prices. My neighbor, who is a used car salesman in the biggest city in Western MA, has seen a huge drop in business since this pandemic and stay-at-home order was put in place.

All I can say is that it is going to be an “interesting” next few months.

2 Likes

It’s definitely regional, but in my market and Texas things are picking up substantially. Now whether that is sustainable in the long term, who knows.

The thread was made semi in response to the people on the thread saying that they’re going to buy pre-owned and get the deal of the century. Then the whole thread went to shit.

1 Like

Whatchuknow ‘bout Texas?

You’re not wrong though: March was actually busier for me than Jan/Feb put together and April isn’t looking too terrible despite folks being gun shy about big purchases rn.

Ouch, why do you have to drag Volvo into this :laughing:.

3 Likes

Ya we’re almost back to full staff. We’ve been crushing it the past few weeks. Internet closing ratio is through the roof (~50%). We’re usually at 15% which according to JLR Corporate is the highest in the nation for our franchise.

3 Likes

The boys in mahwah are pumping you up

2 Likes

Hey! That’s me! Gone a month without buying gas, makes me second guess the need for a newer vehicle without any kind of commute.

1 Like