USA Federal EV Credit of $7500- Is this possible to claim if I assume a Tesla lease with Tesla Financial?

I’ve assumed a few leases on Swap A Lease and have a Tesla located in California in my sights. This was leased without any ev credits assigned.

#Lease transfer, #Tesla #EV Credits in USA. Car in #California I’m in #Minnesota. #Financing

I have used swapalease for BMW X3 and Tesla M3 with success in the past. I have another swap I am prepared to take over/ assume from Tesla. The current lease has not claimed the Federal tax credit on it because it was not available at the time they leased the vehicle. This is not a private party deal- it is Tesla Finance reassigning the lease to me and out of the previous leasees name. Obviously, I’d like to claim the $7500 deduction- Does Tesla need to provide me with some documentation- or will they? If anyone knows that would be a great help. Cheers!

You cannot.

1 Like

You don’t own the car. No tax credit to claim, so Tesla Finance doesn’t need to provide anything.

1 Like

You can not claim a tax credit on a lease ever.

1 Like

EV credits are ‘assigned’ on original sale date,

So you can’t say they ‘werent claimed’ they ‘weren’t there based on original sale date’.

CA Does have a $1000 Used EV rebate and yes Leases count. So you might qualify for that.

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification. There are conflicting reports online so I am glad several credible people here have made it crystal clear. Any Fed tax rebate on a lease goes to the Finance co (actual buyer) not the person leasing it, and they(finance co) can decide how to use it. Thx!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.