US Car Sales Data - Ford sold more F series then entire lineup BMW / AUDI / MERC Combined

In Q2 2020 Just by Number of units

Ford sold more F series then entire lineup combined of Audi + BMW + MBenz
and
Honda sold More CRV’s then entire lineup of either BMW or Audi , almost same as MBenz

I haven’t parsed the data, as I really don’t care enough to do it, but I could see this being the case most months/quarters.

5 Likes

Not really that shocking, the F series includes F150 through F550. With huge numbers of fleet sales, it’s the work horse of 'merica

1 Like

Feet sales are not the driver of these numbers although they are still significant. Look at the average sales price if a F-150 “According to Ford, the average transaction price for the truck is $46,700”. And this is from 2018, surely it’s higher for 2019.

How many businesses are buying these “loaded” trucks. Even the most capable F-350 has an MSRP under 45k before you start adding options. I don’t see many platinum F-150s with commerical plates covered in dirt. I’d say 90% of the fleet trucks I see are XL or XLT trims.

These sales are being driven by private customers buying luxury trucks. Ford is brilliant. Got people to think of luxury trucks different than luxury vehicles like BMW even when they have similar costs.

1 Like

Fleet drives volume and retail generates profit, do the $12k in higher trim/options really cost Ford $12k? Nope

2 Likes

Most of the CUVs are riding on unibody car platforms too, and don’t cost much more to produce, yet they can charge thousands more for them. Gotta love it

2 Likes

Absolutely. All automakers make most of their money on the higher trim vehicles.

I’d be curious to see a fleet sale breakdown for Ford vehicles. I’d guess the F-150 is not on of the top two or three fleet vehicles they sell. I’d guess the Explorer is #1 between rental car sales and police cars. Then Escape for rental car fleets.

Moreover, for at least Q2-Q4 this year, they have little incentive to sell F-150s to fleets. They can barely make enough of them to keep dealers supplied, why sell bare bone models to fleets at low margin to fleets versus at higher trim higher margin models to customers.

The fleet prices on vehicles are crazy cheap, just Google something like 2020 Tahoe state bid and you find stuff like this

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://das.iowa.gov/sites/default/files/fleet/pdf/VehicleCatalog.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj81sbzkIfrAhXGB80KHf_xA4AQFjALegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0bPPal3wu_sRzuhOvSHMwq

1 Like

Ford cars used to sell very well to fleet, not so much recently (and the last Fusion rolled off the assembly line this week).

Ford fleet (if you separate out police packages) is mostly cars, stripper F150s, and vans (transit connect, econoline).

But the past times I dug into the numbers, F150 sales is MOSTLY retail, which means options and no discount financing/leasing.

The F150 itself outsells most everything. Before Honda had as many models, when the Accord was #1 for volume, they used to go back and forth a bit. Not for a long time.

When this first blew my mind, it was the ratio of 1 month of Ford F150s > 1 year of all Subarus in US (their numbers have crept up a lot since).

3 Likes

There’s a pretty good website that tracks most US auto sales. I used to have to model out the auto market to determine penetration rates of autonomous vehicles, and I always used to bounce between these datasets and quarterly reports from manufacturers. If you guys are interested, they’ve improved the website quite a bit since I used it last, and there seem to be some cool new charts and graphs :smiley:.

Here’s the list of top selling cars in the US for Q2

And you can find yearly totals as well as rank by brand HERE

1 Like

I still remember when the Taurus was juggling for that #1 spot too. That’s ancient history now

3 Likes

keep in mind 1 out of every 6 vehicles in america is a truck. It’s only fitting that at least one truck model makes it in the top 3 for sales. Ford has the marketing campaign as best selling/most selling vehicle 40 something years straight.

Luxury pickup trucks are essentially more capable suvs with a bed, it’s funny how people associate trucks with masculinity but females drive these trucks a lot more than one would imagine.

1 Like

How can you get something like that for the prices?

It is the case

Is it actually Ford brilliance or is it people using 179 accelerated depreciation?

I wonder if there is data showing how far 6,000+ lb vehicle sales have outpaced the rest of the market

Neighbor just picked up another sec. 179 car, F250. He sec. 179d his XC90 T6.

1 Like

Unless I am missing something, both the F150 and XC90 are under 6k pounds in all variants.

Sure that helps but as noted above no F150 weighs over 6k pounds. It’s hard to get a breakdown of sales amongst the F series trucks but I am gonna guess at least 80% of F series sales are F-150s.

1 Like

Good catch, I texted his son and it’s F250 Regular Cab, for a PA resident I don’t care or know too much about trucks. His XC90 T6 does qualify I know that for sure. It’s over 6k LBs GWVR.

Volvo Technical Info

1 Like

You are right. The GVW is just over 6K.

1 Like

Not really shock with this data I’m owning F150 2016 Edition and I’ve done some 1000 miles on it.This is the combined effort of there marketing and quality team.

The only thing that I’ve replaced all this year are the floor mats

Hoping that in the future I wont be needing to replace any parts.

Kudos to Ford to its quality.