Upside down equity on '22 Taos SEL - Need Advice

Currently leasing 2022 VW Taos SEL, 15,500 mi, with 7 payments left, and would like to get out of it. I received a quote from Equityhackr for $20k, but the buyout quote I received from VW credit is $25,191.

This is my first lease so I’m unsure what to do to get out of this and am looking for some advice. Happy to answer any follow-up questions.

write a check for 5191?

I would personally keep it for the 7months

3 Likes

Why do you want to get out of the lease early?

1 Like

What is less expensive- 7 payments or a $5191 check to get out. The negitave will not magicly disappear. If it is a want to get a new car, just make sure it is really worth it- keeping it to the end with no neg equity is the easiest answer.

4 Likes

I thought VW doesn’t allow third party buyouts ?

EquityHackr most likely sourced a quote from a VW / Audi dealer within their network, which makes it not third party.

OP - you can reach out to all local VW / Audi dealers but most likely you’re still paying out of pocket for some of the negative / underwater.

Does the VW buyout quote include taxes? Which wouldn’t be applicable to a VW dealer buying it off you?

As others have said I would just keep it for the remaining months.

1 Like

Unless you have an extremely compelling reason, I wouldn’t recommend lighting that kind of money on fire.

2 Likes

Keep shopping it around or just turn it in and eat the 7 payments, that’s got to be less than the $5k negative, or find a dealer with a pile of ID4’s and see if you can work something out. What’s your plan to replace the Taos?

1 Like

I want to get rid of it because it is the worst car I’ve ever driven. Constant issues, almost gotten into accidents several times because the engine stalls. I’ve taken it to the dealer multiple times and kept up with recall repairs, but it’s just an awful car.

Vw does, but charge a higher rate to non-vw dealers.

Sounds like you could get out of it with a lemon law claim

3 Likes

We can’t currently add a charging station to our home, so EVs aren’t an option for us right now. I plan to upgrade to a lux mid-size sedan, Lexus ES, MB C or E-Class, or BMW 5 series, once I can offload this. I could also take it back to the dealer and see if they can work with me for an Audi, but I’d like to get out of the VW/Audi realm since my experience has been so awful.

I think its too late for that claim. I’m in NYS

Often depends on when the first in service date was. Its worth talking to a lemon attorney.

1 Like

When was the first time?