United Airline's Mileage Plus Mercedes Discount

I’ll have United airline silver membership due to the Marriott, SPG merger next month. Currently i am a gold elite member in Marriott (automatically got upgraded to gold elite due to the AMEX platinum card).

On August 1st all members that have a Marriott gold will be granted platinum elite due to the merger and platinum in Marriott get’s me a united silver premier membership.

The question is, if i buy a new Mercedes E300 this month (tempted on a car that has 13% discount. Dont want to let it go) and if i can make the dealer to add the control number in August, will i still get a $1000 (united silver member’s get a $1k fleet discount) check back?

Status matching using Amex platinum does not give you platinum, you will stay gold. Only gold earned through nights will be upgraded to platinum. It’s been heavily discussed on blogs.

I’ve read that otherwise in the below blog and this guy has the same reputation as points guy - Also look at the below screenshot.

You cannot retroactively get the money back if you buy a car before you qualify for the discount. If you buy/lease an E300 before you are able to generate the proper PIN to give you the discount, then you won’t get it this go around.

3 Likes

Got it. I was under the impression that it can done as it would be only like 17 days if i buy the car this Saturday.

The dealer has no idea about the united fleet and told me that he can try the best if it would be possible from his side.

Once the transaction is closed and funded by MBFS, that’s it.

Makes sense. Thank you.

Also, I would expect discounts to get better on 2018s as the year progresses, so the 13% off could get better. And if you are willing to look at loaners, 20+% off was achieved several times last year on 2017 models.

1 Like

Great to know re: United silver thanks for posting the question

Edit: that blogger now says

Update: It appears as if those who earned SPG Gold through the Amex Platinum won’t be receiving Marriott Platinum status. I’m working on confirming at the moment who exactly does earn SPG Platinum status, so stay tuned.

Shoot! If an update is given, it will help credit card churner’s like me to not apply for the platinum card to just get the silver status. lol

they made a correction, you will not get platinum… unless you meet it with combined nights

1 Like

Also the new platinum is the old gold. I think you have to be platinum elite or whatever the new above regular platinum is.

I was helping another Hackr regarding the Mercedes Benz discount. You have to get Marriott Platinum and status match with United through their website. You will then get a control number with your UA Premier Silver which you will bring to the dealer and they will apply a $1000 discount on the car. Please do keep in mind that $1000 is residualized.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill