Underwater with current loan

Lurking for the past month and first time poster.

Not sure if this is the right forum but giving it a shot. Im currently underwater about 8k in my 2018 Rogue (rolled my previus loan into it). NFCU wont refi. Reading that leasing might be a good option of getting rid of the neg equity of the Rogue. Ideally would like to get a pickup. Looking at a Chevy Silverado. Current FICO auto scores are right at 700. I’ve never leased before and was looking for guidance on how I should proceed. First and foremost, can I get decent lease deal with a 700 score?

1 Like

Hi and welcome! You’re in the right place.

What is the interest rate on the current loan? What is the payoff? How did you come up with the $8k number (believe you just trying to understand)?

You have several issues working against you:

• you are borderline/unlikely to get Tier 1 (lowest rate) financing without a cosigner or a 1-pay lease with a 700 FICO. You’ll get approved but likely bumped.
  • $8,000 is a lot of negative to bury (says the guy who once buried just about that much in a lease)
  • Silverados (most trucks) don’t lease especially well, the residual is usually high, but also the MF is usually high, meaning you are paying 3-7% interest on the utility of the lease AND the negative

Is there a reason the Rogue doesn’t work for you anymore? Meaning, why not just continue to drive it?

1 Like

What is a 1 pay lease?

For a couple of reasons.

1. hoping to reduce the current monthly pymt. With the previous loan rolled into the Rogue, my current monthly pymt is $750. Was hoping a lease with the equity would have a lower payment.

2. Also a Rogue cant tow the boat I plan on getting in a few months. :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it be better to fill in one hole before you dig another?

43 Likes

K I’m gonna be that guy and yes I’m fun at party. You are on the way rolling into bankruptcy quicker than you could have thought if you keep doing this.
Whoever told you to lease a car to roll negative equity in is the person you no longer want to hear any financial advice from. To be completely honest you need to keep driving that Rogue, there’s no way to mitigate the negative equity. A Silverado will only increase your cost of operating vehicles per month, not reduce.
But again you could have a very healthy income but just made this bad purchase earlier, car payment is really simple math, you can figure it out especially with help offered here

15 Likes

Actually some Silverados are decent. A 1500 custom can be had in the 300s including with drives. And LT would land in the low 400s.

You pay the entire lease at inception.

My job here is be the bad cop and hopefully prevent

and

Your job @ethanrs is to find him a Silverado with a big enough bed to take 8-large to a landfill (and hopefully tow the steam shovel needed to dig its grave).

3 Likes

This is the funniest thing I have seen in ages

26 Likes

Have you checked what Carvana or Vroom will buy the Rogue for? Maybe you aren’t as underwater as you thought

Then maybe he won’t need a boat

28 Likes

Ouch. I would not recommend rolling in any more negative equity. Focus on paying down the loan on the Rogue, instead of looking at buying a boat.

3 Likes

What is your expectation when it comes to lowering your monthly payment? If you are correct about the negative equity you are starting at $222 dollars a month behind the 8 ball, assuming a 36 month lease.

2 Likes

Pump OP’s irrational exuberance into my veins!

Please post boat pics to Trophy Garage.

10 Likes

His boat or the dealer that got him into a $750/mo Rogue’s boat?

9 Likes

You’re wasting your time. As soon as these underwater folks figure out that there’s no magic bullet they disappear

Boat shopping is so much more fun than listening to nerdhackr drone on about fiscal sanity.

14 Likes

The dealer’s vessel is called a “yacht” I’d imagine.

1 Like

If I could figure out a way to monetize or broker deals involving these types of situations I’d go out and get myself a submarine.

4 Likes

There is a lot of good advise here, But I am afraid, op like @max_g said there is no magic bullet. Head down, additional payments, lowering the balance over the course of time is your best bet, it is not sexy, but it is what it is.

1 Like