Turned in my QX60 Lease 2 months ago DMV sent Renewal?

I turned in my 2019 QX60 in early August, signed the release of liability at the dealer, but I got my DMV renewal notice today.

I called IFS and they said the dealer should have cancelled the plates and provide me with a confirmation as such.

Do I have anything I need to do so I dont get dinged for returning this thing?

Go on the ca dmv website yourself and submit the release of liability. Do not just ignore this and hope the dealer makes it go away.

IFS is dumb. No such thing as cancelling plates in CA.

If the car was sold to another state, then dmv doesnt know, thats why you need to fill out a release of liability and now

Never did this, sold one to a dealer (large dealer). Should I do it now even when I sold my vehicle 5-6 weeks ago?

In California, the onus is on you to fill this out. The dealer may do it as a courtesy, but they have no obligation to do so. It is your responsibility to make sure it happens.

Its a 2 minute activity, so yes, definitely go do it.

If it doesnt get done, your registration will come up for renewal. If you ignore it rather than make sure its dealt with, California will send you to collections for the past due registration you ignored.

alright, I filled it out. It does say transfer of ownership is not complete until the new owner pays fees and registers.

sigh.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.