Trying to sell car - title lists Dealership as the owner

I feel really dumb for asking this question here, but since this forum has been so helpful in helping me lease my cars for the past few years I thought I’d give it a try. Really sorry if this isn’t the right place for it?

We had a leased car for about 3 years, which we ended up purchasing outright last summer. We received the title after the purchase, with the “Assignment of Title” listing the dealership as the seller and my wife as the buyer - the “owner information” on the front still lists the dealership instead of my wife. Were we supposed to take the title to the DMV and have them create a new title listing us as the owners?

I’m trying to sell the car to Carvana now and they won’t go through with the purchase until we have a title listing us as the owner. I’m clearly not a car guy, so I’ve asked around - everyone I know is telling me we can sell it with all the paperwork we currently have.

What am I missing here? Am I being a “curbstoner” in this situation? I am so confused about this entire process! Just want to get rid of this car, but I feel like I can’t do anything for at least another month or however long it would take to get the title amended.

Yes, you were supposed to take the title to the dmv and transfer it into your name/do registration when you bought it.

Thanks! Really appreciate it

How could you have driven the car and insured it without being registered? Also didn’t the dealer do the registration paperwork?

We had the car leased for 3 years before buying it - registration doesn’t expire until April this year and it was on the same insurance that we’ve had it on since we leased it.

We have the bill of sale and the registration (with as as the buyer listed on it), but that’s about it.

You don’t need to register it again in your name as long your old reg is valid. Most third party dealers will take it with no issues

Assuming there is a tax satisfied stamp on the back of the title

No tax satisfied on the back of the title, however it does include the tax on the bill of sale?

That should work along with the new title

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.