Trying to help a single mom with 3 kids, what is out there right now....small SUV?

Hi guys, just trying to help out a friend on a fixed income that is already stretched thin.

She has a ford eco sport she’s paying around $240 a month on, I wasn’t affiliated with that deal her lease expires 4/19. Luckily she has about 6k in equity in it, I was shocked to see that but I got good offers from multiple sites. I’m going to loan her the money to buy it out and then sell it for her, FMC was a no go on the third party so we’re just bypassing that mess and doing it this way. It’s a low buyout number so the 6% sales tax just is what it is, no big deal.

We need a plan in place here in regards to a new car though, that ecosport is garbage and not a car I would want her to keep long term. It’s also pretty small for her 3 boys that was just all she could find at the time.

I’m sure she’s going to end up spending more per month on a lease now but the 6k in equity will offset that and again she does need something larger regardless. A frontier or altima won’t work just too small for 3 boys, she’s not picky if it comes down it then okay it is what it is but I’m trying to help her do better. The pathfinder is probably out of her price range, not far out again with that 6K but I don’t want her to blow all her equity just to have a nice car and she doesn’t care about that either really she just needs something functional.

What else is out there in the under $300 range besides the nissans?

Does not compute

7 Likes

Ummm…a Kia Soul, Hyundai Venue…but neither of those will beat a Pathfinder or a Murano

Under $300 and not a Nissan is basically saying I don’t want a Nice Nissan, I was something else that is shitty. Nissan is the car to get this quarter to save money

1 Like

The Pathfinder on one pay and 18 months with $3k equity could be around $300/mo. Right @aronchi?

1 Like

Agreed. This should be updated this is not $300/month this is $300/month after the $6K rolled in which seems feasible :man_shrugging: Maybe a Rogue as well.

Edit: You could also look into a Jeep GCL Laredo. Depending on your taxes I bet the $6K would bring the payments below that threshold.

1 Like

first world problems
5f9ce1506ee7d8131f0851dab1227d1f

1 Like

Not quite that many, but I’ve definitely seen that!!

If you had that $6k in equity today, you could have snagged up this deal on a QX80.

1 Like

For a mother of three, it might be best to focus on what she can get on a 36 month term with the $6K factored in for under $300/month vs. an 18 month term. Stretching the “equity” she has over a longer lease period has to be important.

3 Likes

If She utilize half of her equity she can get Tucson SEL for close to $300/m
Also with 6% sales tax this number will be slightly lower.

Totally agree. I was just pointing out to OP that there are non-Nissan deals out there. If it were me, I would just grab the cheapest Pathfinder or Murano lease deal.

2 Likes

I replied to you but wasn’t calling you out haha. I also mentioned Rogue would work. Same page stretch that equity.

1 Like

A base model Hyundai Santa Fe might be a good option with some equity put towards it. On top of that, once the lease is up it would likely be worthwhile to buy out given the warranty.

1 Like

Interesting, I didn’t know the Murano had followed suit with the other Nissan deals. I haven’t seen anyone hack one at all…

The Murano would definitely work if it’s around $300.

I appreciate the replies everyone but not looking for around $300 after the 6k equity, she’s paying $240 now and is barely scraping by. So burning up the equity and then still having a higher payment with a car that also has a higher insurance rate probably wouldn’t be the best option for her.

Murano works though, odd I haven’t seen it discussed much at all…

Stares at thread in Crown Vic

5 Likes

Last month Murano SL cost the same as Pathfinder SL on 18/10, so do the math. The sticker is ~$8k lower on Murano.

1 Like

At least for a brief period of time, there was mention on the board of the really good lease deals.

The car itself is pretty unremarkable, so I don’t think people get particularly excited about the good deals… But I imagine it’ll work just fine for your friend as a car.

Agree w/ @carmac55 that a longer lease might be beneficial for your friend.

1 Like

Really? Says who ?

Either of these will fit 3 little boys and herself comfortably.

1 Like

And what happens when the next lease (with the $6k equity down) ends?

Are you assuming they’ll have equity again or their income will go up to afford the future payments?

1 Like

$6k in equity on an EcoSport?!