Trying to get out of a 2020 XC60 Volvo Lease (that ends 02/2023) in Los Angeles

Introducing the vhooloo lease transfer program. Works for all brands but lessor must be moving out of country. It is called a diplomatic exception to the lease (for diplomats and military and the like). Proof of relocation needed such as job letter from overseas, passport surrender, visa termination etc etc. I DMed OP. The rest of the gallery make sure popcorn is warm…

I guess this is not hard to get. Will this really work just showing that letter?

:popcorn: at the ready

Just ignore him.

1 Like

Why, you planning to look for a job in Afghanistan? I can get you out of your lease …

Would it be just private lease transfer or selling to 3rd party dealer is allowed too?
I am considering moving to Europe in near future and i have EU passport.

selling. But if you know you are moving ahead of time, please do not enter a lease that you know you won’t be able to meet.

1 Like

After speaking to several people at VCFS, including a manager that was very nice, they are getting me out of my lease for a $1000 fee (which more or less what the price difference is between Carmax and my buyout) so I am very happy.

5 Likes

Not bad at all considering there is $350 disposition fee anyway at lease end.

Please post the gist of the conversation and process so that @max_g understands that getting out of lease due to overseas is real … And he is the one who should be ignored…

A trick that I learned a while ago (I don’t know if this is just coincidence or not) but I always seem to get better service when I request a Spanish speaker - so after getting nowhere with the first 2 callers, the third one in Spanish was super understanding.

So I was just very honest with her, told her why I wanted to sell or return my lease, and that I couldn’t afford they entire buyout quote. She promised she would get back to me within 24 hours, and this morning a manager called me to tell me that she’ll take it back for only $1000 fee. Normally they would charge me all the remaining months of the lease, which would had been a hefty amount, but since my car is like new, only 9400 miles, no issues whatsoever, they can still get a good amount for it when they re-sell it or auction it.

I have 2 weeks to drop off my keys at any Volvo dealer and get an odometer reading (i think that’s what it’s called?) and I am done.

3 Likes

Thank you and best of luck. Buena Suerte.

1 Like

When are you picking it up to take over the lease?

I was trying to off load my xc90 - one of the Volvo dealers said the same thing, Volvo doesnt allow to sell to third party (i.e. carvane,carmax,vroom) and Volvo dealers can’t buy the care unless it’s used as trade in. What you are left is - buy the car, pay the tax and sell it. Hopefully you don’t lose much. Else, maybe try a trade in route - and get a car that you are allowed to sell it. How many months you have left? I have 8 months left on my car, so i may just drive it for those 8m and turn it in unless I find some cheap Tacos and i will off load it that way. good luck to you. u don’t have many options unfortunately.

Did you read the whole thread?

3 Likes

apparently not.

Not that you will find any cheap Taco deals, but what do you mean by “off load it that way”? You state that Volvo doesn’t allow 3rd party buyouts and last I checked, Volvo doesn’t make Tacos, so not sure how you will trade-in your XC90.

1 Like

The manager at a local Volvo emailed me - and said that they not allowed to buy it - but if I buy a lease/buy from them, then can trade-in my Volvo. Some dealerships have many car dealerships in the area (including toyotas, honds etc). so I am hopeful one of them will just buy my Volvo for a new lease. I know it’s difficult to get anything right now, so it’s my wishful thinking. Hopefully one of them will work with me. I could buy the damn thing - and pay the tax but it’s really not worth it. it’s a wash at the end of the day.

I was able to resolve it by returning it to VCFS with barely a penalty. Check out a couple posts above yours.

2 Likes

Only Volvo dealer can buy your Volvo in exchange for another Volvo, even if it’s the same chain of dealerships. Volvo doesn’t want you to sell in exchange for a Toyota.

5 Likes