Try to buy on NYE or wait until March?

hey all! Been following for about a week and this has been tremendously helpful for me in seeing what deals everyone has been getting and what to aim for!

I know historically that year end is the best time of year to buy a car, as some dealers are trying to hit sales quotas etc. My dilemma is that I’ve got 3 months left on my Q50 Red Sport … lease is up in March. Wanting to switch to an SUV, and have zero desire to get into any of the QX models Infiniti has.

My top 3 SUV choices are the BMW X3, Volvo XC60 & Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude. Based on what you experts in leasing know, do you think I’m better off trying to rush a deal tomorrow, or will there be solid deals come February/March (maybe at quarter end)? I’m concerned the extra $1k in potential double or rolled over payments will eat into whatever difference in pricing I’d have now vs 2-3 months from now?

Seems like the BMWs are leasing out crazy good right now, as are the Volvo’s. Jeep leases for crap, but I just love the car😭.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Wait until March.

No one knows what kind of incentives will be available in March. Yes, it will be end of Q1 but that does not mean dealers will be aggressive.

FYI, the last sales day in December 2019 for auto is Jan 2nd, not dec 31st. Common misconception that automakers go off of calendar month. Though it is possible the dealer runs on calendar for financials so may be willing to deal more on 31st of Dec in some circumstances.

Some automakers run December incentives through Jan 6th this year (ie Toyota).

Very true — which is why I’m so up in the air about trying to get a deal now or waiting.

Right now with end of year dealers are trying to move as much volume as possible. So it is possible you will get a very good deal tomorrow.

That is great to know - Thank you for that info!

1 Like

Spend the next 2 months driving everything you think you want. Get your lease end inspection 60 days out. Start shopping deals on your short list mid-late Feb.

No point getting a good deal tomorrow on something you aren’t sure you want to drive for 2-3 years. If someone had conquest to wipe out your payments you could pursue but I don’t think so. Otherwise you need to roll that negative in which doesn’t make sense.

Unless you paid $0 at signing you already paid for some of this last three months so use it.

1 Like

I’d recommend waiting until Feb/March to start your car search. You’ll probably still be able to get a good deal on some of your desired choices at that time - I know most BMW’s lease well, and the Grand Cherokee Limited can be had for ~$400/month depending on options. I’m not very well versed on how Volvo’s lease.

I just don’t think it’s worth the hassle to secure a “deal” in the next few days when you still have 3 months left on your current lease. I think the only exception to this is if you’re already close to or over mileage on your current lease so you could save some $ by just parking it, paying the payments, and driving the new lease - but don’t think that’s the case.

The deals will always come around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your Infiniti is probably a 39-mo lease? So if you dump it 3 months early, you save on year 4 registration, is that a significant cost in NC and part of the motivation to move now?

Check with Vroom to see if you have + equity

We all perceive value a bit differently, but in order to be enticed to throw away three payments, I’d have to convince myself that I’d likely save at least 150-200% of that by acting immediately.

That would still be a hard sell, since it’s basically a guessing game, unless you have an obvious unicorn deal laid at your feet.