Transfer car NJ to CA or lease new?

Hi guys,

My son is heading to college in August to So CA. We live in NJ and did a 24 month lease in Dec 2022 on a Mazda CX-5 as we weren’t sure where he would go to school and if a car was allowed.

Has anyone gone through something similar? We are trying to decide if we should have it transported from NJ to CA and just buy it out or if we should turn it in here and re-lease in CA?

I’ve looked around online and the price seems to vary in transporting $500-2000.

Thoughts?

You can probably ship it for $1200 or so.

The right answer is he packs up the car and drives to school. It’s a right of passage in many ways.

I was bid $1600 for NY to CA,

• Make sure the CX-5 is 50 state car or it might not be allowed in.
  • You will need to get it inspected and 2 visits to DMV Cost about $150
  • CA has a 12 month retax law but you are out of that.

I have a friend/neighbor who’s moving from SoCal to Nj this summer, and he’s planning on shipping his leases Kona N-Line, lol.

You guys should trade leases and save on the shipping, lol.

I don’t know if that’s even possible just funny that my friend is literally doing the same thing as you but the other way, haha.

$1200 from NJ to SoCal is either the deal of the century with a reputable shipper or a lowball offer sure to be higher with a shady outfit.

To have no issues you should expect to pay between $0.65 (bare minimum, somewhat unlikely) to $1 per mile for a reputable and trustworthy open carrier on a cross-country haul.

1 Like