Transfer Car Mid Lease from MD to CA - Tax implications

, , ,

Question for the Hackrs

Started my lease for a Ford Expedition in MD so all taxes were paid upfront on the total purchase price of the car.

Moved to CA mid lease and registered car in CA.

Now I’m looking to purchase the car at lease end and wondering if I’m going to be again charged sales tax on the vehicle in CA despite already having paid tax on the full price. Anyway to get some of that back from MD? Any other options?

Thanks in advance.

From a quick review you will owe again. I didn’t see any lines that said ‘previous use tax paid’ on form 256

Presumably too late now but FYI for anyone else: probably best to buy the car in the lower tax state before moving. Most states won’t tax a new resident to register a car they own.

Agree. Typically don’t buy leases out but right now with purchase price laid out in lease being so much lower than what the car is currently worth it seems silly to turn it in and give Ford the equity.

With that, I’m finding Ford dealerships in my area looking to tack on a purchase option fee on top of the purchase price. No mention of this in Lease so it’s definitely just a dealer trying to make a quick dollar. Is this standard practice for Ford Dealerships?

It actually might turn out to be illegal if someone in a consumer-friendly state like CA took them to court.

You have a purchase option that’s pretty clearly spelled out in the contract. To make you jump through hoops to exercise that option is arguably a breach of that contract but IANAA.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.