Trading Your Car In When It Needs Work

Hello,

I am waiting for the new Mazda CX5 to come out within the next month or so, and I have learned a ton from reading here. Thank You all!

I will be turning in a 2005 G35 Infinity with the following problems:

Key hole cover on the driver side is missing.
Front bumper is detached near the corner
Front bumper is missing both turn signals
Deep scratches on the passenger side
The gearshifter sticks a lot. I need to press a metal rod into a hole to shift gears.

KBB estimates turn in value at around 2-2.5k.

My question is, what should I fix if anything, before I turn my car into the dealership for a trade in.
Paint job plus fixing the front bumper will cost $800, fixing the gear shifter will cost around $400.

Do dealers typically take cars that need some lovin, because they are motivated to close the deal? If I am quoted KBB as a trade in value how close do they typically come when you turn in your car?

You probably will not get 100% of the dollars you spend for your repairs. Usually, you try to keep you car in good condition and repair as you go (I can’t stand anything wrong with my cars even how small) but if you are fixing just for trading in, it is usually not worth it.

At the numbers you are mentioning above, just expect your trade in (mentally) to be $800-$1,300 and be done with it. The dealer can probably fix those problems cheaper than you can or they just auction your car off (maybe even for parts and they can make more) – regardless, there is no point paying retail for repairs.

Trade-ins are an art. If you want a 2nd opinion, when you want to turn in your car and you have a Carmax nearby and 30 mins, you should at least go there if it is worth your time. If they give you something close to $1,300 then you are already ahead. For a dealer to give you more money for your trade-in, it is just like any other part of the deal – how eager are they to move cars or are they not willing to deal.

1 Like

I agree don’t spend any money on an older vehicle you are trading in.

Try Craigslist you might get more.?

1 Like

It doesn’t sound like car would be worth selling on their lots, so they will give you extremely low numbers on trade-in. Might be better off selling it someone on CL.

The new CX5 will be nice, but don’t expect any deal on it for awhile.

Absolutely right. Most dealers use a KBB Instant Cash offer and that tend to only show Fair condition at best. Anything Mechanically going on with the vehicle leaves you at there will and they will hold more than they should and try to convince you they are being reasonable. You would be better off Listing it yourself.

Thanks so much to everyone who replied!

I got hit by a nasty bug or else I would have replied sooner.

I will take it to Carmax and have a quote so I am at least prepared for whatever the dealer says to me.

I will update the forum when I finally lease the car.