Trade in leased car for new purchase, sales tax credit. How does it work? (Not CA)

Got a question. Assuming I go from a lease to a purchase. Instead of grounding a lease. What if I was to trade it in for a new car purchase, would they allow a sales credit toward a new one? That would be enough to make up the disposal fee and then some for a deal I am looking into.

Example: Let say the payoff on lease car is 20000 and the dealer will PURCHASE it at 21000 exactly. New car is 25K. Would I be allow to pay just $5K in sales tax or would the DMV just give you a 1K tax credit or absolutely nothing?

You don’t get any credit for lease to purchase. You didn’t own the car, you didn’t pay tax on the whole purchase price (in most states).

You will pay tax on the whole purchase price of the new car.

I know this is how it works in Minnesota.

1 Like

we’re kind of on the same boat. I have a 2018 infiniti q50 sport model fully equipped and the car is selling around 28-32k used… obviously if i were to get my car appraised they’d offer me anywhere from 18k-24k just a guestimate. And what i owe on my lease is around 20k…Would i be up in equity or negative equity? What are the consequences of turning in my lease to purchase a new car? can i come up with my own apr from other banks and credit unions?

thanks

If you’re able to sell or trade in your car for more than the payoff on it, you’ll get the difference as positive equity. However, the original question was more about the tax implications, which was answered above. (You generally still need to pay tax on the full purchase price of the new car).

1 Like

How do you only owe 20k on a 2018 q50 sport lease? Did you put like 10k down or something?

can those taxes roll over to the new loan? even if i get approved on my own financing and not finance with the dealership?

As long as the loan-to-value isn’t too high, you can roll tax, fees, warranties, aftermarket parts, etc into the loan.

appraised my 2018 infiniti q50s which came out to 28,0000 and does that mean im neg in equity

You need to know what your payout is. I’m guessing it’s higher than its current value.

payout is 40k and around 28k to sell.

That means if you go with another 36mo lease, your negative equity alone is $333/mo. Enjoy the Q50.

So that $333 on top of a new lease car pament?

To be fair, now that six months have gone by, the negative equity may only be 320 a month. YES on top of your new lease payment!!!

Check back in 6 months…

Similar question here and hoping someone can shed some light for me.

car 1 - Lease - payoff $50k - estimated value $58k

trading for

used car 2 - Purchasing(not leasing again) - cost 57k - net retail $49k (after 8k equity from trade)

My question, do I still pay Nevada sales tax on the 49k retail cost of the new car or is sales tax null because of the trade in tax credit offered in NV.

Dealer is telling me that my financed OTD price is 54k because of the 8% sales tax.

I contacted leasing co and the total amount of taxes paid to this point is $1740 over 30 months.

Any way for me to fight and get the $1740 credited toward the new tax total?