Toyota Mirai Lease? Finance?

It seems like the only car in abundance on dealer lots in SoCal seems to be the Toyota Mirai. There’s 25k in bonus cash on them, a federal rebate of $7000, California CVRP of $4500, and a fuel card for $15,000.With all of this combined and 0% APR for 72. It seems like these should be 50% off which should equate to a more or less free lease or an absurdly low finance payment. Is there something I’m missing?

The infrastructure for refilling them is abysmal.

5 Likes

I totally agree but I live fairly close to a hydrogen station and my commute to work is roughly 11 minutes when I do have to commute.

As far I as I know, the 25k is for buy only. Did it change?

1 Like

Unfortunately, they stations tend to break down… a lot. You’re probably a best case scenario for one given your commute and proximity to a station though.

1 Like

It is my understanding that the Federal tax credit expired as of December 31, 2021.

https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/350

2 Likes

They are referred to as “fool” cell for a reason. Hard to get fuel, and hard to resell.

1 Like

Wow I didn’t catch that…7500 is for EV only, nothing for fuel cell.

1 Like

Well that’s incredibly unfortunate.

I don’t see how you’d come close to utilizing the fuel card.

Maybe a BEV or PHEV makes more sense for your situation.

On a purchase, the fuel card is good for 6 years or $15k, whichever occurs first. Since there is virtually no competition on the fuel retailers part, and since Toyota, Honda and Hyundai are essentially paying for all the fuel, prices are high, and depending on how much you drive, and the fuel efficiency, the average driver could use the entire $15k within 6 years.

OP probably not, especially since the car would not appear to be suited to long road trips, due to the refueling situation.

I’m in the exact situation as you are (commute to work is 3 miles and 12 mins). I live in West LA, so not far from a fuel station. But just b/c a fuel station is nearby doesn’t mean it works. I love the idea of getting a cheap-ish Lexus, but the apparent high percentage of malfunctioning stations makes it a no for me (at this point).

San Diego has the highest electric rates in the country at $0.41/kWh, so the appeal of an EV is diminished from a cost savings perspective in terms of refueling. I really like the idea of T8 XC60 as well just because it would effectively give me a third parking spot in my building for when I have guests over, as long as I can capture the federal rebate over a purely ICE model.

FYI, this is a great fuel cell review/write-up

This. I looked into the first generation Mirais when leases were cheap. Only to find out half the hydrogen stations, including the one I lived near was “out of service”. The thing is, this probably happens more often at gas stations, only difference is they have more than two working pumps.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.