Toyota is ramping up for a return to a full production schedule…

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/toyota-halt-production-5-factories-january-due-supply-chain-issues-2021-12-20/

1 Like

The original post aged well…

6 Likes

Toyota’s all talk. They talked a bunch of smack at the beginning about how their were prepared and some other nonsense about their supply chain. It really seems like nobody knows what’s going on over there. Not expecting much from Toyota and quite honestly don’t care. They’re so far behind in almost each segment it’s not funny. They are selling cars based on their name.

2 Likes

Those are some strong words…

1 Like

I think its a difficult time for production yes. When that article for Full production came through I was surprised as it was the opposite of what they were telling dealers.

5 Likes

What people fail to realize is that full production doesn’t mean the thousands of dealer lots are going to be filled up tomorrow with a glut of inventory that dealers are going to discount 15% to move. It’s still going to take months to flow those cars through the pipeline and get delivered. Not to mention, there are still backlogs at dealerships of people waiting for cars to come in. Let’s not forget rental fleets, companies, etc… need cars too.

Full production means nothing in the short-term, especially now that there is another production halt, and there are surely going to be more.

3 Likes

Obviously, their strategy is working, as they’re on track to be the world’s biggest automaker yet again this year.

Indicating initially that they were able to “weather the storm” is hardly smack talk.

You do realize that the rest of the auto industry is trying to mimic Toyota’s JIT strategy now that they realize it works, so apparently, the rest of the auto industry also disagrees with you in regard to Toyota’s strategies.

1 Like

And that proves nothing…

They still don’t know what they’re doing…(sarcasm)…
seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

1 Like

McDonald’s is the world’s biggest hamburger seller… that doesn’t mean they make a good hamburger.

5 Likes

But i don’t think this is about who makes the best cars by the virtue of who sells the most.

You still gotta have some sort of ability to keep being near the top year after year which the other poster was ignoring.

1 Like

Toyota has generally been considered the industry benchmark when it came to supply chain management.

That doesn’t mean anyone has been immune to all the challenges and changes of the past ~21 months.

1 Like

I recall seeing vids recently that concluded JIT was exacerbating supply chain issues, primarily due to outsourcing too many components.

Yes

No. Where they come from isn’t the problem with JIT, it’s the lack of slack. So many companies doing JIT is also straining the alternate suppliers (and their alternates). No slack, little substitution, no ability to flex.

Labor shortages don’t help either. Nor do shipping problems. And nobody has multi-multi-multi redundancies (good luck building 2 in).

3 Likes

Anyone able to confirm if Toyota has stopped custom orders currently? I was told that by my local dealer and wanted to see if true or if they were just wanting to sell me in transit inventory. Thanks!

I don’t think Toyota ever had custom orders

That’s their whole business model and it’s been like that for years, let others develop the technology and suffer the growing pains, then implement it when it’s tried and true/reliable. Why bother with new tech if it breaks and sinks your resale value/brand reputation? I wouldn’t be leasing a Taco for under $200 a month otherwise, is it the best truck in the segment? Heck no, but it’s dirt cheap(the SR is still a great deal if you can find one, even at MSRP through Ally). I’m interested to see what happens with the turbo V6 in the Tundra

2 Likes

Thanks. I just assumed they did. I’m in the market for a new 4Runner. Guess I’ll have to weed through the ones on lot

No, but they probably do have the best fast-food fries. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hoping BMW can figure there thing out soon too… We’ve been told 2022 will still be 50% production, and maybe early 2023 will be normalized, though never the same high-inventory mark we saw 2016-2020.

1 Like

From the looks of it, all of the germans have still not hit bottom regarding this issue, while many of the japanese (and the swedes and some americans) appear to be over the hump…

1 Like