Toyota Dealership dropped $1500 on exact same used car right after I bought

Yeah the fact that it’s a used Mirai is more interesting. I thought Toyota just took them back after the lease and wouldn’t resell them, why did you buy a used one?

Some people like whips and chains.

1 Like

What’s the retail and appropriate dealer cost of the service contract versus the $1,500 dollar price drop on the car? Does the service contract cover cosmetic damage like the bumper you mentioned?

1 Like

Toyota has been selling the lease returns, with a 15k fuel card included. One big dealer in So Cal has 60 used Mirai listed for sale, starting at under 15k. It was Honda that was scrapping the lease returns on fuel cell vehicles.

3 Likes

Interesting. Wonder why Toyota is fine w/ re-selling them + additional fuel card (since the original is not transferrable, AFAIK), while Honda wanted to scrap them. But that’s a diff topic entirely…

Probably the same reason they drag their feet on producing a good BEV.

Wow. So a kind of a free car. Kind of. I mean, you pay $15k, but then never pay to feed it. Seems like a great way to go, if that type of fuel works for you.

Well you’re paying for it, just not with currency. The hydrogen fuel landscape is a bit like Fury Road, and that’s in the places that actually have hydrogen fuel stations.

Can you have hydrogen delivered, and store it in a tank near the driveway?

1 Like

I think you need the high pressure pump setup as well.

It’s very impractical.

There goes the idea of picking up a dirigible for the vacation house. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hydrogen is a major pain in the neck to work with. I do processing for a major pharma company and we have the capacity to use it. It’s all kept outside in special cylinders that are around the same size as a small person. I’m sure if it could be stored safely in a large tank that they would have done it. Our engineers have also developed techniques to perform hydroxylations that no longer require the use of said equipment because of how risky it is to use. We have literal tons of specially reinforced equipment that sits unused now because it’s so much safer to do it the other ways. So in short, I wouldn’t recommend anyone having a hydrogen tank installed anywhere near their home for their Mirai.

5 Likes