Toyota Dealership dropped $1500 on exact same used car right after I bought

Be sure to specify your location when asking for input on a deal! Tagging by state (e.g. CA, NJ, NY, usa-nationwide) is mandatory.

Please tag if your question relates to a specialized topic (e.g. tax, legal, shipping, 3rd-party-buyout etc.). You will reach experts faster that way. View all tags at FORUM | LEASEHACKR.

CA-Los Angeles Area

Hello everyone !

Here is my rare circumstance that I need help from you guys. I bought a used car from Toyota dealership today, signed every paper and documents. The dealership takes about 1hour from my house, When I last checked the dealership price for that car it was 17k and during the 1hour of time that I get there, they lowered it down to 15500. I obviously thought that 17k was the price so I signed it and was about take it to home around 8pm, but the heated front seat won’t turn off, seems like there is fuse problem or system problem with it. So I left it at the dealership and they said the car is still under warranty so they will let me know what’s up by tomorrow since all the mechanics were out of work because its late. They still didnt take the advertisement down so I took screenshot of evidence that they lowered the price of the vehicle I bought through cargurus. Is there anyway I can get some sort of rebate or discount regarding this? also should I strongly complain about it or ask it nicely?

Theres no rebate on used cars…

after signing contracts did you drive it off the lot? if you didn’t you technically can still back out of the deal or use that as leverage to try and get the new ad price.

If you already drove it off the lot its your car and they have no obligation to do any favors for you on a vehicle that’s already sold.

4 Likes

hello thank you for your reply.

I didn’t drove off the lot technically because I could not get the heated seat off. So the dealer took it back to service. Is there anyway you think, maybe I can get free extended warranty out of it or something? I know legally there is nothing I can do since I signed it… but it’s wrong for them you know, they knew they recently changed the price but they still charged me the price 2hours ago. I don’t think its fair :confused:

Its all up to the dealer whether they decide to give you a lower price or some type of freebie.

All you can do is ask and all they can do is say yes or no.

The vehicle isn’t yours because you never drove off the lot, doesn’t matter that you signed paperwork

1 Like

You can ask. They will say they are not responsible for price mistakes and errors.

1 Like

If they say no , what action can i take? Can I ask for a full refund since I did not drove off the lot?

If they do so, there is nothing I can do? so I should ask politely rather then in arguing tone right?

1 Like

Yes you can 100% back out

2 Likes

Thank you Jeff, also i searched the cpo toyota 160 inspection and apprantely heated seat was broken (could not turn off and dealer admitted) as well as it has noticeable scratch at back bumper which doesnt also meet toyota’s 160 inspection they said it needs to be repainted or cover. Should I use those reason upon requesting refund or negotiating some kind of discount or freebies?

If you want to back out of the deal all together:

Tell the dealer you’re having second thoughts based on the electical issue and scratch/bumper, and you no longer wish to move forward. Thank them for their time and ask them to call you should they receive a similar make/model/color but in better condition.

If you want to keep the car but only with a further $1500 discount:

Tell the dealer you’re having second thoughts based on the electrical issue and scratch/bumper. Mention that you also received an alert yesterday that the price was cut $1500 before you finalized. Tell them you’d be willing to move forward with the car if they can honor the lower price, but if not then you’re going to take a step back and keep looking.

8 Likes

thanks so much for the reply. I’ll talk to them when I wake up tomorrow with your advice!

Post this here.

I wouldn’t until the deal is settled. Internet folks can be very underhanded and someone might contact the dealer and say “this dude about to call for $15.5k or back out. I’ll take it for $15.7k.”

No one’s doing this LoL, especially on a pre-owned Toyota .

2 Likes

If people are willing to backdoor brokers to save a couple hundred bucks, they’ll do anything.

5 Likes

It’s worth discussing what this car is really worth.

So what is the mystery Toyota? What year, model, trim, miles, etc?

1 Like

Yaris? …….

Just don’t take delivery of the car, problem solved.

----UPDATE-----
I decided to keep the car. and I offered them free Toyota VSA for 5 years/60k miles, and they accepted it. I think its an fair deal since I did not ask for 1500$ difference in cash value instead I decided to take their extended warranty for same payment since the car already had minor problem in day 1 with some visible scratches on back bumper.

Thanks everyone for help! (IT was an toyota mirai btw.)

3 Likes

You bought a used hydrogen car? That’s fascinating. Do they give you another $15K fuel card?

1 Like