Totaled BMW lease lowball value settled by BMW directly in Texas

I totaled a fully-option 2024 i4 e40 xDrive with 2500 mi on it. The CCC valuation provided by Safeco came out $2-3K lower than what I would think the car is worth. The agent said they had difficultly finding a comparably spec’d car to compare against with so few miles. I sent in 5 VINs of lower spec’d, higher milage, older MY older cars that were listed for higher than the CCC appraisal but they said they don’t need to consider it anymore because BMW already agreed to settle.

The reason I’m asking is because we want to lease a new BMW and apply the equity difference towards the vehicle (BMW sent correspondence offering that). Can anyone suggest anything further that we could do?

I understand BMW NA is the owner of the vehicle but it seems odd that they could settle the insurance claim entirely without requiring some consent from the policy/lease holder.

Thanks for you help!

As you mention, it is BMW’s car. As such, they can settle the claim without any consent from the lease holder. I am sure this is spelled out in the lease agreement.

1 Like

What equity do you think you have on the lease? This is why the least money down on a lease is the best option. BMW likely won’t be rolling any equity into a new car. Pretty sure your only option will be to simply start a new lease all over again.

2 Likes

Do you put anything for down payment? Any MSD? How do BMW NA treat those?

The correspondence you received is probably from a dealer, not BMWFS itself (who technically is the owner). To realize those equity benefits, dealers typically buy it out and then apply any equity to your next purchase/lease. That’s why they send those mailers out - they are just sales leads.
So with the car already being totaled, there’s nothing more here at this point.

1 Like

It was all min possible down in Texas which was the fees and first month so around $3k worth, no MSDs. The buyout option on the car in the financial portal was about $57k and that’s what the insurance appraised it at but the cars I mentioned are more $59-61k listed.

Equity was the wrong word, I understand from BMW’s letter that the insurance payout for the value of the car in excess of the amount still due on it could be used towards a new lease hence I am trying to find a way to force a reevaluation to be able to get that money applied towards the new car.

Here is the text of their letter:

BMW Financial Services has been informed that the vehicle referenced above has been declared a total loss by your insurance company. Because this vehicle has been declared a total loss, pursuant to your Motor Vehicle Lease Agreement (Lease), please be advised that BMW Financial Services has terminated the Lease. As set forth in the Lease, you remain responsible for certain payments specified in the Lease, which are described below. This termination process involves negotiation of settlement with your insurance company, the application of settlement funds to your account, and billing of any amounts identified in your Lease. Because the Lease has been terminated, we will no longer accept customer payoffs at this time, and you may not purchase the vehicle.

In light of the circumstances, we would like to inform you of a Loyalty Payment Credit (LPC) for which you may be eligible, should you choose to lease or finance your next vehicle with BMW Financial Services. The LPC amount may be up to 100% of the amount remaining after subtracting your contractual Lease payoff from the total loss insurance settlement. Please note, the LPC cannot exceed 50% of the sum of total monthly payments on the new lease or finance agreement. This offer, if eligible, is good for one year from the date of the total loss described above.

Here’s how the LPC program works: Once your new BMW Financial Services account is established, the LPC (calculated as discussed above) is applied as a credit within 2 weeks after the new account is opened. You may use the LPC credit either 1) to reduce your monthly payments each month by a certain amount or 2) to satisfy your monthly payments until the LPC balance is fully used.

Your eligibility and the amount of the LPC will be determined upon BMW Financial Services’s receipt of the insurance settlement payment from your insurance company. If you qualify for the LPC program, we will send you an email with the total amount of your eligible credit and the date the credit expires.

Please note, pursuant to the terms of your Lease, you are responsible for any past due payments, late fees, official fees and taxes or other assessments, property taxes, any deductible, and other items deducted from the Actual Cash Value of the vehicle by the insurance company. The insurance settlement amount must be received, and your account must be closed with a $0.00 balance, before the LPC can be applied to your new account. As required by law, we are notifying you that negative credit information reflecting on your credit records may be submitted to a consumer reporting agency if you fail to fulfill your existing obligations as specified in your Lease. In the event there is any change regarding the insurance settlement for this vehicle, we will contact you and advise you of the process moving forward.

BMW does actually now offer a loyalty credit from totaled lease “equity”.

I beleive it stems from this lawsuit:

3 Likes

Nice! Good to know… :+1:
Looks like I need to get into another bmw lease for a refresher :joy:

1 Like

Listed != actual value. I can list a 2000 Camry for $50,000. Doesn’t mean it’s worth that.

Listed price? Did you pay list on the dearly departed BMW? Do you plan on paying LIST price for this one?

Your car isn’t magically worth list when you go to value it but worth under wholesale when you try to buy it

That’s what the CCC appraisal report used by the adjuster to determine the value. They quoted dealer listings of lower optioned cars to come up with the value so what I’m trying to get them to do is reevaluate that with more similar listings.

The direction from the adjuster was to provide VINs we want them to compare against but in that time BMW accepted their initial settlement and now he says they don’t have to reevaluate anymore.

That’s all an aside from the initial question anyway which is how can we as the policy holder weigh in on the settlement. Thanks in advance to those that offer some ideas on that.

Unfortunately if insurance has already come up with a value and BMWFS has accepted that then I’m guessing it’s going to be a major uphill battle to reverse it.

I’m not sure there’s much more advice we can give other than to pester the adjuster further to possibly up the estimate, and/or pester BMWFS to reverse their acceptance, if that is even possible.

1 Like