Tons of Unsold 2018 Inventory

Almost thinking “who finds the oldest NEW car still sitting in the lot” and sent few emails to GM asking for a price:)

You can lease a 2019 4 for less than a 2019 3.

OTOH, 2018 3 do have good purchase incentives. Couple it with a FAT discount and you could do decently.

I did always want an eclipse in high school. I wonder if your buddy had any of those. :smiley:

He sold a coworker of mine a Sunset Orange Eclipse Convertible (and only made $100 on the deal). She loved that car.

Interesting read. I wonder if the same will be said next year around this time about 2019 models.

Seems that there are still an awful lot of 2019’s on dealer lots.

For instance, I’ve seen some dealers that still have 100’s of Grand Cherokees on the lot. Not sure if that is normal for around this time of year with the bigger volume dealers, but it seemed like a lot to me.

fca is in trouble, they are hemorrhaging

I agree. Hopefully some good lease deals the next few months with fca

They can just sell Jeep and Ram and they will be in the black for a while. :slight_smile:

pretty much, the rest of them are getting hammered tho.

Lots of 2018 Quattroporte still out there, but even taking one down for 70k and selling in 3 years comes out to 36k in money spent. Lots of cars in that price range

And yet dealerships will hold on to these until bankruptcy do them apart hoping for the proverbial “getmedone” butt in the seat

I’m convinced this just comes down to the GM. If he’s a moron, you’ll see tons of old aged inventory and a balance sheet that looks okay until it hits the tipping point. He still has that aged inventory counting at close to MSRP, at some point it explodes.

Then you’ll have the savvy GM who moves the metal and takes his lumps when he knows it’s time to move on from certain vehicles. Balance sheet is clean, no hidden minefields underneath.

1 Like

There’s a method to their madness. What it is, I have no clue, but they wouldn’t still have the lights on if there wasn’t.

fca dealerships are littered with leftover hellcats, redeyes and trackhawks. I would love to know what the method to that madness is.

1 Like

Parts cars.

1 Like

it’s a damn shame what they are doing to those cats.

Maybe they’re replacing the VIN badges and labeling them as 2020s. :stuck_out_tongue:

Service, parts, used sales and F@I can keep the lights even when new sales can’t. And there will always be some people paying $900 for a Honda.

2 Likes

No argument. The question was why some are willing to drop their pants to get rid of old stock while some just let it rot waiting for that proverbial “ass for every seat,” especially when captive support is pulled and it’s likely cheaper to buy a 19 over an 18 without heavily dropping price. Theoretically, they know what they’re doing, or they wouldn’t be in their position.

1 Like

I agree with what Max said, but I still don’t understand some of the logic behind some decisions. I’ll give an example based on my current situation.

Currently, I’ve put a little time trying to hack an F Pace S, which historically hasn’t been hacked to often from my searching on this forum. With an OL code, college grad, conquest, and max MSDs, I know an X5 will be had for $2,500 DAS $550 a month with little effort in December (although my goal will be sub $500), my backup is pretty rock solid, imo. I looked at Edmunds, and for the 18 F Pace, all factory support was gone in January of this year, so one should assume something similar in 2020 on the 19s. Furthermore, the F Pace just had its worst 3 month stretch of sales since the car was first designed, and a lot of dealers still have a ton of 19 inventory - by any practice in basic economics, these are dealers that should be motivated. On top of it all, while the car has an awful RV, there is a ton of factory support with a base MF of 0% and a ton of dealer cash. This should be a fairly simple hack, yet after emailing 35 dealers, only 1 appeared highly motivated, a handful appeared slightly motivated, and the overwhelming majority appeared to have zero urgency to move their mountains of 19s.

While I really haven’t responded to most of the quotes that are too far away to bridge the gap, on two of them I sent go F yourself emails for the sole purpose of appeasing myself, but on two others where I had the GM’s contact information, I politely tried to understand just this. I asked nicely and explained:

You have a ton of 2019 inventory, very healthy factory support which will be completely gone in a little over 3 months, 2020s on the lot, and you provide a quote that is worse than me buying the vehicle. You haven’t sold these vehicles with $5k of factory support and base MFs of 0%, not only are you going to have to eat that $5k of factory support yourself in 3 months, you’re probably going to have to eat 3-4x on top of that, can I ask the reason that this quote is so uncompetitive?

I wasn’t even negotiating, the quotes were too crappy to do that, I legitimately would like to understand the rationale behind it. Neither wrote me back. I truly don’t understand.