To put new tires on lease or not?

Agreed, call Infiniti Finance to make sure

Right, which is what it says in the IFS lease terms…but it doesn’t necessarily specify RF or NRF tires. Did you end up replacing yours?

When I called them, I was told that the tires have to be the same type which also included runflat or not.

I had no choice but to replace them in a timely manner as it was suicidal to drive in the snow with worn tires.

I am getting lease return inspection on this friday and if you would like, I could update you as well.

I’m going through this right now. I have RF and the dealer will let me bring in my own tire - so long as it is the same tire currently on the car. I was able to find the $450 tire used (5k miles) for $150. Wheel bought used as well for $360.

The service department didn’t give a damn about me buying it used or elsewhere - just needed to match exactly what is currently on it.

Care to share where you found the used tire?

Brakes and rotors ??
How many miles were on the car ?

I had a friend of mine turn in her lease with over 40,000 miles…she was a hard braker, drove fast and used her brakes last minute and she didn’t have change them at the end of her lease which was surprising…

Another Friend of mine is on 43000 miles of a 36,000 mile lease. Hes turning it in next month. Tires were replaced however brakes and rotors, nope original.

I think it’s an interesting discussion that should be brought up more since tires can be a costly situation in a lease.

yes, interesting discussion …discussed to death with all relevant info already present. The only reason why it comes up every week because people are not using the search function to look up the answer, they want to be spoon fed the info.

2 Likes

It’s really more common sense than an interesting discussion.

Do your tires meet minimum specs per lease return guidelines, provided by every captive online (most of which are 4/32)?
if no, replace. If yes, leave them be.

Do your tires pose a safety threat?
If no, leave them be. If yes, replace them.

This isn’t rocket science.

yes, and if you want to save money, buy a set of used tires that meet/exceed the minimum expectation and minimum tread level from the lender, the end.

1 Like

AHA! Now you’re getting to the part that really pissed me off. I have been leasing since 1989 (1990 Lexus ES250 first one). I switch cars when necessary with my hubs. My local driving has a stop sign every other block. He drives in bumper to bumper traffic to and from work. We have NEVER put pads let alone cut rotors on any car before. To answer your question: 22,000 miles! I fought with Infiniti. They said their cars always need brakes around 25,000. I have had 6 Infinitis. All returned under 30k and no new brakes. I call BS. The car wasn’t safe to drive which is why I had it towed. There was no prior warning either. Everytime my tire pressure goes down 2psi six lights light up. No brakes on Lexus turned in last year; no brakes on Jeep turned in 3 years ago; no brakes on JAG XKR turned in 4 years ago. Same two drivers same traffic patterns. Lease up next month. I was offered another loaded QX60 at a sick price. I declined. Thanks for listening.

Do all 4 tires have to be the same brand? Can I get same rated tires but different brand for the front and the back? Jesus Christ no one sells used 225/55/17 run flats this is crazy.

I would get all 4 the same brand, just to be safe. Check out bestusedtires.com. I put a set of RF (barely used) at a reasonable price - it saved at least $1,000.

I ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport ROF for my wife’s X1 from bestusedtires yesterday - 4 tires, 10-11/32 tread, for $350 - brand new would be $1200-$1300.

Will report back on condition when they arrive.

1 Like

Speaking of used tire sites, anyone ever order from utires.com ?

Is tire wear a common thing amongst end of lease decisions? At around 36k the concept of worn tires almost seems unavoidable. Looking at current new tire prices for the car I choose to lease it’s looking like at least $100 per tire minimum, where as fancier brand cars with more advanced tires can only go up from there.

I also saw a thread where someone mentioned having run flats, where they would just purchase a set of spare tires to run til those were worn than swapping the original run flats back on for remainder of the lease only so that those tires won’t be worn down to the point of needing replacement.

From some basic research, it seems like most tires are meant to handle 36,000 to 48,000 miles, so it’s always touching that sweet spot of needing replacements? If so, it’ll definitely be factored into my next lease decision as a mandatory cost to consider.

Yes, going for the longer (see: typical) lease of 36/39 is the bad spot for many tires, particularly sport oriented. My ROF on my Q50S would have never made it the entire lease. I’m not the most conservative driver (you don’t buy a sport vehicle to drive like a school bus IMO), but I try to drive with the tire wear in mind. $100 is about the minimum for some replacements, which I have no issue paying that amount for mine. New price I’m looking at upwards of $400/tire without install, etc. The price has more to do with the size of the tire, rating, performance, etc. than the type of vehicle it is for. Tires on a $30K vehicle can be double the price of tires on a $60K vehicle.

My BMW X5 lease is about to be up. BMW said I needed to change front two run flats, would’ve been $300 a piece. I bought one from utires and one from bestusedtires at $50 each. Got it installed for $60 total.

Both sites are highly recommended. Got the tires in a day from utires and two days from bestusedtires.

With my last lease I had a 39 month lease but brought the car back 4 months with just under 30k, the wheels still had 6/32 which was passable but I can’t fathom placing new tires on a car just as the lease is ending, I mean I know this can be standard in most leases. This time I have a 36 month lease and know I’ll drive just about 30-32k miles hoping to return the car with the thread just above where they will accept the lease back with out a problem. It’s funny though most tires today show you can go 50,000+ miles before changing them however some people get way less mileage out of their tires before needing to change them

I’m definitely going to remember those two sites. My friend had to put 4 new tires in …paid $100 each. Probably could have gone straight to those sites and saved a couple of hundred.