Tire replacement options lease end

Apologies if this is a common question.
Returning 2016 Charger SXT AWD with Michelin Primacy tires. Inspector deemed 3 of 4 tires below acceptable tread. I would rather replace myself prior to returning rather than get overcharged by Chrysler Capital ($250/tire).
I can not get a straight answer from reps at Chrysler Capital if there are guidelines for replacement, specifically if I have to replace with same OEM, or just get 4 matching tires with same specs (235/55R19 101H).
Contract only states in Excess Wear and Mileage section: “Tires that are retreads, unsafe, have less than 1/8 inch tread at the shallowest point or are not a matching set of four.”
Any experiences with Chrysler Capital and this topic?
Thanks for any feedback.

Just buy one used tire to avoid any stress. Bestusedtires or a local junk yard/used tire shop. It’s a very common tire and I’m assuming a common size, you should be able to get one for next to nothing.

3 Likes

1+ 2 I assume you meant :slight_smile:

1 Like

Close enough. No more math for me today.

2 Likes

I was able to balance your equation!
Found 4 Continentals with exact size, speed/load rating with 7-8/32nds tread for $235 on Bestusedtire delivered. Gonna go for it. Best option for me.

2 Likes

Like all said just get used tires and that’s it. Lexus tried to do same to me. I ask the inspector honestly and he said most of his clients put used tires on few weeks before it’s supposed to be returned

be sure to factor in the mount and balance into that. typically around $15-20/tire

Try craigslist or facebook marketplace. Walmart and Costco have stopped installing tires purchased elsewhere unfortunately.

Do not pay for a balance.

For my 5 series lease turn in I bought 4 used OEM runflats off eBay for under 400 shipped!

Agree! Used is the best way to go for lease return. I’ve bought wheels on eBay and Craigslist/offer up and you can’t beat the deals.
It was funny because I took over a lease on a 2012 MBZ E350 sport and did not know the original leaser got the tire package. I was so worried that the car needed front tires but after turn in inspection (which took a whole 15 mins) the dealership rep came back and reported the car looks great. But since then, car companies seem to use third party pre lease turn in inspection companies (AutoVin etc.).
So crossing fingers/increasing anxiety hoping the car will pass inspection prior to turn in no longer an issue. But when I turned in my 2015 Lexus GS350 Fsport, AutoVIn only reported windshield had to be replaced (tine nick and not scratch), so I got one at local shop but dealership only saw the report and did not inspect new windshield. So to my suprise I got a bill from Lexus for 900 bucks. Luckily I kept the original receipt for the windshield and got out of being billed twice for glass. The good news that is the only issue I have had returning leased cars (five so far) and currently leasing three.
Prior to leasing I was very apprehensive because I’ve heard horror stories when people brought them in for over billing. Even my sister had to go to small claims court because Chevy (dealership) tried to charge her thousands for the POS sedan. But since 2012, I have only one minor issue.

Wurd.
I just purchased set of 4, exact size, load and speed rating with 7-8/32 tread from bestusedtires. Local mechanical will mount.
Chrysler Capital uses a third party company. Dude was nice, but flunked the tires. His report is electronically sent to Chrysler. Now my concern is to avoid what you went through. Once car is grounded and gets retrieved from dealership, or stealership in this forum’s parlance, will Chrysler acknowledge acceptable treads, or will a bill be generated for new tires from inspection report. Still can not get a straight answer from them, it is like the reps have no idea what I am inquiring about. Fingers crossed.

Hello, I will need to replace my front right tire soon. Does Lexus require only Michellin or Bridgestone tires when I return it or can I get any brand as long as all four tires are the same?

My Dodge lease (Ally Financial) stipulated if I was buying tires before lease-end, it had to be the exact same brand. Is that the general rule of thumb or the exception?

Ive always purchased used tires for leaae turn in and as long as they matched the same specs- size and ratings/ run flats if that’s what is oem- Ive never had an issue (Charger scatpack through Ally bank- I actually gave it back with wider 275/40/20s- autovin reps dont check what the original size is anyways) Alternatively what I’ve started doing is taking the oem tires off when they get down to around 6/32nds, buying my own either gently used or well priced new tires and then having the originals thrown back on at lease end. I’ll be damned if I’m giving the car back with a brand new set of tires for these banks that have nickeled and dimed me for bs wear and tear charges over the years.

1 Like

As stated in my original post, my Dodge is leased through Chrysler Capitol.
The only reference to tires on my contract reads: “Tires that are retreads, unsafe, have less than 1/8 inch tread at the shallowest point or are not a matching set of four.”
So, I read that as requiring only 4 matching tires that are same specs as OEM.
I can not say for sure whether that is rule of thumb for leases, but from response I have seen, it is.

The only thing I see on Ally’s site is below regarding tires:

Use the Wear Square to check tread depth. The following count as excess wear:

• Tread depth of less than 1/8" at the shallowest point
  • Gouges, cuts, sidewall plugs or tires in a condition affecting passenger safety
  • Tires that don’t match manufacturer’s recommended guidelines

Nothing pertaining to original OEM brand. Spec-wise, yes, they have to meet or exceed OEM spec. That said, I’ve never come across a lease yet in 20 years of leasing that specified OEM brand on return. That said, if you have something in writing that requires the exact OEM brand, then you gotta suck it up and do it.

My current ford lease through ford credit doesn’t specify the tread left at turn in, only says that sidewalks can’t be damaged.

I have less than 1/8” tread left. Lease due back in 6 weeks. Anyone have any experience with ford on this?

Yes, we turned in an Explorer back to the captive in April. Our lease return guide from Ford did not mention tread-depth, only mentioned no damage to sidewalls/no steel belt showing through, matching tires, etc.

The tires weren’t bald, but if they would have required any particular tread-depth commonly required by other mainstream lenders, we would have failed. Had the inspection and passed.

Hope that helps.