Dealer Discount: 1057 (3% discount)
Dealer cash: 1000
capitalized cost: 33129
Adjusted Cap: (64+175+699+33129): 34067$

MF: .00133(Getting it at buy rate)
RV: 60%
VW Acquisition fee: 699
tax rate: 8.35 1500

According to the salesman I spoke to this is the most they can possibly discount the car.

I was hoping to get closer to a 440 a month payment. Can/should I get them to move on the discount any further?

EDIT: they said this was close to the invoice pricing on these. What does that really mean?

Here is my target Deal: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

Seeing as the first dealer site I visited had larger discounts, you can do better.

https://www.volkswagenofbethesda.com/all-inventory/index.htm?compositeType=new&defaultRange=5&make=Volkswagen&year=2024&model=Tiguan

1 Like

Thank You. I am new to this so I don’t really know how to push for discounts. Is it smart to flat out ask the dealer to meet a certain percent discount off sales price?

What’s your DAS?

1 Like

Rolling everything into the cap cost

Down is cap reduction and not the same as due at signing (DAS). Are you rolling everything into the cap for $0 DAS?

Put all the info in the calc and see what kind of discount you need to get to your target payment.

3 Likes

I’m sure it used to mean something a long time ago, but now it’s a made-up number that doesn’t mean anything.

3 Likes

my bad, thanks for clarifying. Rolling everything into the cap

Here’s what I’m hoping for: CALCULATOR | LEASEHACKR

1 Like

Thanks, salesman are really good at making things sound impossible

There ya go! Now you know you need 8% discount off MSRP (which I assume is good for this car as I haven’t done the research) with base MF to get to your 440 payment with 0 DAS. Email a bunch of dealers with the vehicle you want MSRP wise and ask for say a 425 payment with 0 DAS and settle at your 440.

2 Likes

And this is why you do the calc and understand your target payment like you did
you can now wade thru the BS because you know how the numbers work
they will most likely throw different stuff out at you but you know the levers now!

1 Like

VWs are ‘slim’ on the markup from ‘invoice’ to MSRP so that is true
what the exact % is, who knows? Asking costs nothing as all they can do is say no. If you start getting a lot of no responses tho you might be asking for too much. Be patient and ready to pounce same day when you do get somebody close!

1 Like

Thank you, I will do this, appreciate your help. :smiley:

1 Like

How set are you on the Tig?

Not really dead set on it but it has relatively good terms for an SUV in this market i thought. Its a pretty decent car as well.

It’s even worse than that. It’s a fake number that dealers use as leverage. Look sir we’re giving you this at invoice, any less and we’re losing money. This is the best deal we can offer.

1 Like

Off sticket price is close to your deal
 check out their list

There are generally two types of lease customers.

One chooses hackable cars when they exist and actually hacks leases. Their TCO (total cost of ownership) even over multiple leases is lower than traditional ownership. Usually because they take advantage of an overestimated RV and leave the bank holding a big bag.

The other looks at a nominal saving in the monthly payment over financing. Over multiple leases they leave a huge amount of equity on the table, effectively writing a big check to the bank. The idea of saving ironically backfires because it costs them much more over the long term.

A quick sanity check is looking at 72 months of lease payments ending with $0 equity and comparing that TCO against the TCO of financing (including the equity you have at the end).

If I had to guess it’s 90/10 in favor of the “oooh with a lease I save $100/mo over buying” type. Because for the vast majority of people it’s all about the payment. They could pay 100% interest every month vs 100% equity every month. But if interest only is just a little less money, they’ll take that option.

The average American consumer is really bad at figuring this stuff out. And retailers - not just auto - take full advantage of their financial stupidity.

1 Like

Yep, 90+% of people who come here are bamboozled by math and the calc and have no clue of TCO
all about the payment! There were a couple people here willing to lease in Chicago (additional 9% tax on leases) because they were payment buyers
ignoring fact they are paying twice as much in taxes than if they bought.

1 Like