The scarce Infiniti QX55

Looks like a blend between BMW and Audi

1 Like

Except when the unreliable cvt constantly fails.

3 Likes

Lexus has the dated tech, questionable design luxury market cornered.

this is correct. both the pathfinder and qx60 got the ZF 9 speed that acura just dumped from the MDX to get the ZF 8 speed. so at least nissan went from the worst transmission in the world to the 2nd worst. baby steps.

3 Likes

Looking at the pictures of the outside, I don’t know if it will actually be able to sustain this claim without weirdly restricting the class to only certain cars. I don’t know what it will fully look like, but from pictures that are out right now it looks like a weird version of Velar and maybe Aviator. The roof does look like it’s fairly straight, but then the gate is very slanted, so it could cut into 3rd row.

What we see of the interior here looks like they started designing this car about 6 years ago. Feels like it’s going to repeat the MDX delayed design language, but who knows, maybe they’ll surprise everyone.

The underpinnings of the almost all new NMC launches seem to be heavily refreshed existing platforms. The QX60 in its current form is quite large. For NMC to refresh and reduce interior volume and space…welll that would be something.

Remember Infiniti dealers dont remember the JX35 when browsing the showroom for Qx60s

Really looking forward to the new QX60. We had a 2015 and 2018, but the lack of refresh pushed us into the Enclave this time. The CVT in the QX60 wasn’t terrible like other cars I’ve driven, but it is still not as good as proper automatic.

The QX55? Wasted opportunity from Infiniti. I miss the days when they made cool cars like the FX50.

Wait until you get one with ZF9, you’ll wish you had a CVT back :slight_smile:

1 Like

need to take the engine from the Q50 and the transmission from the Q50 and make a competent SUV. the solution is staring them in the face. instead, they continue to waste money on pointless form factors and variable compression turbos. it’s such a shame what happened to that brand. our 2005 G35 was a far better car than the comparable 330i.

1 Like

Breaks my heart, I had two G35 coupes, a G37 coupe, a G35 sedan, two G37 sedans and one Q50. The Q50 really ruined it for me, lack of manual transmission and lost it’s sporting edge. Gave it a shot for $280/mo on the base awd model. Great deal, but they lost that loving feeling.

I think the MT battle is almost completely lost at this point. There are a few brands that will offer a few models here and there with MT but mainly just fondly remember it and accept that it’s not happening anymore.

True, but when the Q50 debuted in 2014, the main competitors still offered MT option (A4/S4, 3 series. Acura TL).

I agree that these days I’ve just given up. But now the off lease 2017/18 A4 6MT are hitting the market for decent prices.

the ZF9 speed is standard on the MY21 pilot right?

Wonder if those owners can shed some light on performance and initial quality on that gearbox. If not, NMC is headed for more Tsb and recalls

i tried very hard to get out of the q50 that my family has, but thanks to a clown rolling into it at costco, it no longer has a clean carfax and we’re stuck with it. truly is a g-d awful car with absolutely no steering feel, responsiveness, comfort, or infotainment. ours is the luxe essential w proassist so it’s a 47k sticker at 359 on a sign and drive.

Manual transmissions are probably not compatible with some newer safety technology and adaptive cruise control, so they will likely become even more rare. Maybe some ultra luxury or performance cars could use an automated manual, like F1.

We’ve clearly come full circle for people to forget the automated single-clutch F1-style gearboxes from the early 2000s that everyone absolutely hated in luxury and super sport cars.

2 Likes

Few years back I test drove a 2015 Q50 looking for a decent sedan with sporty handling and good power. On paper, Q50 was perfect. In execution, the worst experience I had…

I think it was made worse because I expected something from a torque converter automatic paired to a strong N/A V6. It just… wasn’t there.

I remembered watching the debut video for Q50. Sebastian Vettel did not sound convincing that it was a great car :grinning:. The gas mileage must also turn people off and they kept that engine for way too long.

I’m glad they started the model name with a Q, that way I can continue to have no idea which of their vehicles is which.

1 Like