The diary of wimpy Lexus hackr - 2024 edition

4th day of the hunt, initial emails went out Sat, Sun was day off for most dealers. Current offers, normalized for buy rate:

• Dealer 1: 9% off, average doc fee
  • Dealer 2: wanted to take my trade and additional $1300 DAS, normalized would be 10% markup on MSRP
  • Dealer 3: 8.6% off, low doc fee
  • Dealer 4: 6.4% off, average doc fee
  • Dealer 5: 8.5% off, average doc fee
  • Dealers 6-9: didn’t say No outright, wanted to talk/think/mull things over/whatever
  • Dealer 10: No without counter

The rest haven’t responded.

3 Likes

Guys with highest offer for my current RX are pushing me hard to sell it and I’m afraid I’m gonna start losing all that sweet Lexus equity if I don’t sell quickly. Still no bites at the original target.

I’m adjusting my target by -1%. Lets see if one of my existing GMs would want to close.

How much does the 1% target deduction offset your equity ?

Around $500.

11th day: came within $800 of my adjusted target, but decided to wait. Lots of dealers claim no inventory of Premium trim for such discounts. They do push F-Sport Handling and Performance trims aggressively, got couple offers at 13% off and buy rate. Unfortunately, those 21" rims on F-Sport are no go for the missus due to harsher ride.

2 Likes

I just made a 10% off pre incentive offer to a dealer in the NY area on an RX350 Premium AWD. We’ll see how this pans out.

Good luck. If you’re flexible on colors, that should be achievable.

I made a deal. Sort of.

Have an agreement with GM on 10% off + buy rate + current incentives (2250 lease cash + 500 loyalty + 1st month comped by LFS). With their somewhat large doc fee (795) and plate transfer (240), on 36/10K its $699/mo all in on MSRP of $55.5K with NYC 8.875% tax. With 1st month comped, its $680 effective.

But here’s the catch: there is no car yet. He’s sold out of Premium trims in the colors I need. So I will take delivery in April.

Credit app is submitted to lock March program for the next 30 days. He assured me that if April’s program is better (he says it won’t be because he’s sure loyalty + 1st mo comp are going away), we’ll redo with April’s numbers.

We’ll see. The guy is phenomenal to deal with, it’s the same GSM I got my 2021 RX from, but he’s now a GM at another Lexus dealer. Straightforward and very easy to talk to. I want to give him business just for that, especially considering that no-one else came close, let alone agreed to my adjusted target.

I’ll keep the thread updated. Don’t PM me for the info, I won’t share until the contract is signed.

10 Likes

Did you get responses to your offer?

1 Like

Not yet. Still working on it.

1 Like

The Sales Manager called and left a voice mail:

“I just spoke with (Salesman) and I think we can do a deal. Please call me back to discuss the particulars.”

I called back and left a message

2 Likes

Nice. If it’s NY dealer 10% with 175 doc fee is like 11% with the doc fee I’m paying.

1 Like

The key to me for making this work (aside from the proper discount, stackable rebates, & base money factor) will be IF they are willing to buy out my Mom’s current 2022 RX 350 lease and get her out clean. She’s got a year left on her lease and we are projecting she will be about 16,000 miles over. If she rides the lease out until the end, she’s going to have to write a check to Lexus for $4,000 plus tax. Every $1,000 adds about $30 to the effective payment. So if she has to put $1,000 or $2,000 as a cap cost reduction on the credit card to wipe out some negative equity then that’s a win too.

Is it in good condition? I’d wager there is good bit of equity there if so. What’s the current payoff? Have you tried getting quotes to see if there is any equity?

1 Like

Apparently you can’t lock all incentives, even with credit app. 1st month comp is gone in April. But April program is a bit better even without it. Lease cash and loyalty the same, residual the same @ 61% for 36/10. MF has gone down from 0.00248 to 0.00225. So even without 1 mo comp, it’s few bucks cheaper.

Finally got VIN for the colors I wanted. I think GM did a trade with another dealer. $55.4K MSRP. $677.xx/mo, 1st month DAS. Looks like we’re going to e-sign today.

14 Likes

Good job man!

1 Like

First time seeing this - hilarious :rofl:

Good hunt & congrats! Let’s see some photos :disguised_face:

1 Like

:+1: picking up today

5 Likes
2 Likes

RODO picked up wife’s old RX. Waiting for a check to arrive in the mail, should be ~9K of equity. When check is deposited, this will conclude 2024 Lexus acquisition story.

7 Likes