The cheapest 2019 Jetta is better than the fastest Jetta

Best quote, “the Versa makes you feel like maybe no one ever really loved you.”

2 Likes

My thought when I read this article was “go home, Jalop, you’re drunk.”

After having one for a rental myself…truer words were never spoken. I seriously contemplated giving it back and hoofing it or taking a bus…and I never ride the bus.

2 Likes

Plus one thousand

1 Like

The seat material reminds me of some sort of athletic wetsuit material

well then - You’ve sold me - Where do I sign !

I sort of love how spare the instrument panel looks compared to many modern cars

It has a look only your grandma could love…

The best part about the base Jetta is the base price. And good luck selling that Manual Trans when you get tired of traffic.

Talk about a car completely devoid of fun or emotion.

I…I don’t even know what to say.

No.

I like the idea of driving a slow car fast and wringing out a manual, but it should ideally be small and light. Extra points for high revving NA motor.

1 Like

I considered this car…the steelies and hub caps kill it alittle but nothing like a new set of 18” or 19” wheel package with a mild drop.

Slow you say? An APR tune will do it wonders .

Addl ~$2k and you’ve got yourself a fun little sedan with manual trans

“ . . . the bump in power from 147 HP to 228 is enough that there’s less need to wring, and if you really tried to, you’d end up in trouble of either the legal or lack of skill variety before you realized it.”

Does anyone really get in over their head with 228 HP? Has a 228 HP car ever “gotten away from” anyone? (Old enough to drive and sober, of course!:sunglasses:)

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing out loud when I read this. It seems like most car reviewers haven’t actually ever driven anything with power, as all I hear is how such and such hot hatch (I’m looking at you GTI) is all you’ll ever need for street driving and you still have to be careful. Yes, maybe if you’re 16 years old and/or have never driven a car with real power you’ll think a GTI/Focus ST/Civic SI are hot shit…but c’mon, they are slow as molasses when compared to even a 2.0t Honda Accord or V6 camry. The circle jerk over a lot of these compacts is a little absurd.

Hell, hop in a new Mustang GT and tell me after that 228HP is all you ever need for the street.

My 1985 Corvette had 230 horsepower. It seemed really powerful at the time.
Way more than enough to kill yourself along with some bystanders.

And all with no airbags, no anti-lock brakes, no nuthin’

1 Like

My 1988 Camaro RS 305 5-speed had 220 HP, and it did not feel fast, even then. Maybe my feel-fast-sensor is calibrated differently than yours.

And you can kill yourself and a friend on a bicycle; not the best measurement unit ever.

:sunglasses:

Totally agree with it. I just got 2019 Jetta 1.4 base with manual and it’s really fun to drive :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill