The Car Salesperson Evolution Regression

Below is an exchange with a salesperson I don’t know, who works at a dealership I didn’t get my car from (but where it as serviced), about a car that said “adios” to my garage over 5 years ago.

As first, I thought it might be a glitchy bot, but nope, turns out it’s a real human being.

The interaction left me scratching my head and wondering: What exactly is the purpose of a car salesperson these days?

Is it outreach and getting bodies through the door?
Well, if exhibit A above is any indication, I would said that would be a hard no. Phone calls never get answered anymore. Email sequences are automated these days and I’m not sure the loom videos make any difference.

Is it product knowledge?
Most customers are much more informed in the product than most dealership employees thanks to the internet. Most already know what they want before stepping into the dealership. There is no need to match a customer with a car anymore or understanding a customer’s need.

Is it for negotiations/closing deals/upselling?
A typical salesperson doesn’t have negotiation power and needs to go back and forth with management. If any bamboozling or upselling is still done, it’s also not by sales, but by finance or managers.

Is it for test drives?
If you’ve ever done a Tesla test drive, you actually don’t need a person either if it’s set up properly.

So, I ask again: what is the purpose of a car salesperson?

Maybe someone has had an enlightening experience to share. Let’s hear your thoughts on the evolution (or perhaps devolution?) of the car salesperson.

PS:
Yes, I am aware there are exceptions, and some are present on LH.

Just curious if this came from a short code or a phone number? A lot of this stuff is automated (with 0 AI)

He might be a human being but he’s using scripts to send out automated messages

2 Likes

From a local phone #

1 Like

What’s the point of a lot of jobs? To keep the machine going until the robots fully take over. Sales people in dealerships obviously aren’t needed. Or there could just be people there to handle customers like the Tesla model.

Sales guys are starting to have to work again, they haven’t had to do much to get sales the last few years. I’ve been getting a ton of calls, emails, texts from them lately as inventories are building. I’ve also had several gms reach out to me to move their inventory the last couple months. They wouldn’t give me deals over Covid, so I will mostly stay loyal to the stores that did give me deals, unless I can’t get the car a customer wants.

I’d say close to 50% of jobs could be automated tomorrow but it would be detrimental to society, the economy etc. It’s coming though and it’s not gonna be pretty. Those that do work will pay a larger share to support those that don’t. Who is John galt style.

Great documentary on it

6 Likes

The difference between those who worked pre pandemic and those who started after 2020 is HUGE.

The skill gap is obvious

4 Likes

Do you mean in car sales specifically, or all jobs?

I guess since they’re commission based it costs nothing to keep them around. $0 is hard to beat even with AI

The inability (or refusal) of dealerships to implement robust online sales models is mind boggling.
Most of the time I click on their ‘internet price’ or ‘get price’ button and it brings up a box to put in my contact details followed by a ‘We’ll get in touch’. The old mentality of 'Get ‘em onto our turf’ prevails.
I’m preaching to the converted on Leasehackr but most of us want to avoid wasting our weekends playing the old ‘If I can get my manager to agree to this payment, would you drive away today?’ games.

The old school salespeople out there who know their stuff are generally sticking to their existing clientele. The new school salespeople are nothing more than glorified lead generators. They take notes about what you are looking for and ask their managers to close the deals. I understand in this particular case, they reached out to you. But my rule of thumb nowadays is to go straight to the manager, unless there’s a salesman at the dealer who I have a history with.

2 Likes