Tesla Supercharging - Experiences & Discussion

With the availability of the Tesla to Ford DCFC adapter, the Tesla Supercharger Network is about to become a lot more open. It has been confirmed that the Ford adapter is, in fact, “active” and does authenticate the vehicle. Ford has also integrated the Ford Pass app, so as a Ford owner, you must find a Tesla S/C and start a charge using the Ford Pass app. Reported attempts to start the charge with Ford Pass and then connect to a non-Ford vehicle result in a failure. Pretty obvious this is a blueprint how Tesla can integrate with other manufacturer apps.

For more, see;

And it’s already smarter than EA;

And here is a good summery of which manufacturers have signed with Tesla and when, assuming they get authorized in order which they committed.

Would love to hear first-hand feedback from our MME and Lightning owners.

2 Likes

Tried one with the magic dock a few mos ago in NY (Brewster) on our iX and it worked pretty well.

2 Likes

Patiently waiting for BMW… but looks like they are pretty deep in queue.

187kw…nice. Not sure I’ve seen any non-Tesla pull at that rate?

1 Like

Ford & Rivian now able to charge at Tesla Superchargers!

Using A2Z NACS-CCS1 adapter - have been using Tesla SC for a month.

2 Likes

How do you start the charging? Thru the Tesla app?

2 ways:
Ford Pass Connected service - true plug & charge (Full non member Tesla rate).
Tesla app - select location, choose charger #, plug in.

I use the Tesla app in order to get the member rate discount.

Tesla membership is $12.99 monthly but gives 30% discount off non member rates.
After 2 charges, it pays for the subscription.
I have charge at least 4x a month so I am saving money.

3 Likes

Just charged at Tesla SC and used the Tesla app to stop charging.

Got this cute animated GIF on how to properly disconnect the NACS plug from my Ford EV.

2 Likes

Charging a non Tesla can lead to taking up 2 spaces and a charger unusable.

Maybe an extension NACS cable might help ?

Picture shows my Ford using a Tesla SC. Notice while parked there, access to the right side charger is unusable as I am parked in the spot. Then the parking space to my left is unusable because I am using the charger due to the front left side port…

1 Like

This would be exceedingly expensive because, in most cases, the cable coming from the DCFC equipment is liquid cooled. It’s the reason Tesla makes the cables so short (to keep the costs down). This will definitely be a problem… Now spots can be ICEd or FORDed, both of which is worse than BOLTed.

3 Likes

At least Tesla tends to put more than 4 usable posts at most locations but yes they’re going to have to figure out a workable solution for this like an extension cable (perhaps amperage limited to keep it safe)

2 Likes

$297 for a 6’ NACS extension cable.

More expensive than my $200 A2Z adapter!

That combo is a theft I would not like to risk.

No reviews.

Seems Legit Martin Freeman GIF

2 Likes

https://electrek.co/2024/04/29/tesla-conducting-more-layoffs-including-entire-supercharger-team/

Hmm, they’re opening up and bringing all these other ev in. I guess it makes sense for Elon to layoffs the entire supercharger team NOT. What could go wrong? Lol

The one shining gem here at least is that executives are also getting removed when shown to be ineffectual.

Only thing is, there doesn’t seem to be a specific rhyme as to what that actually is.

As for the manufacturing roles, Unionization isn’t the solution here either but some happy medium where a fair wage is being paid and furloughs are less sudden or perhaps even planned around design updates would be desirable.

It’s easy to forget sometimes that Tesla doesn’t have a century of historical practice and expertise behind it like your legacy automakers.