Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Cars add HP every year too. And incredible 0-100 numbers.

Yet these cars are stuck in traffic like everyone else. I live in the heart of swanky cars, and no one is driving fast.

I see more and more Taycans, with their crappy range, every day.

Most people just drive locally.

I live in SoCal. We drive to desert Palm Springs to relax, we drive to Las Vegas to gamble, we drive to Santa Barbara to vacation, we drive to mountains to ski/snowboard.

Range is a huge factor when purchasing an EV. Number one factor actually, that and charging infrastructure for those trips.

2 Likes

You are one person. Not necessarily the majority.

And any EV can get to PS or SB on a single charge.

2022 Mazda MX-30 isn’t getting you to either of those places from LA or OC.

2 Likes

All my friends/family/co-workers that own an EV or looking to purchase one, range is a huge factor. Range anxiety is always at the top concerns for surveys done of potential EV buyers.

JD Power 2021 study found…“When deciding which electric vehicle to buy, the most-often-cited factor in the purchase decision is battery and driving range. Even after the purchase is made, range is still a critical element of the ownership experience.”

1 Like

There’s a big difference in the range most people need out of an ev and the range most people think they need. People are still going to buy based on what they think they need though.

1,000 miles or bust.

1 Like

More like ‘wife preggers with our first, need a 3 row asap’.

5 Likes

It could be triplets. :grin:

1 Like

Ideally I like to get 400miles range at constant 70mph on highway. With about 10% state of charge left minimum before next charge during road trips. Next gen batt tech…hopefully? Better charging curves would be nice too.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say the range on a Taycan is crappy, at least they didn’t inflate their numbers out of the gate like a good chunk of manufacturers.

Even this statement leaves a lot of if’s out there.

In perfect weather using a low rolling resistance tire on mostly level terrain? What’s the starting percentage?

Personally, I feel like the way range estimates are given and sold for the most part is dishonest or at least out of touch with how the majority people will use it. I only know a handful of people that will actually burn through a full battery (100-0%) charge to max range on a sector. — Even for highly experienced EV-road trippers this is a big leap of faith and requires at least some amount of contingency planning should consumption not be in line with what was planned.

Also, when traveling, the bottom 50% of the battery will charge quickest (and consequently is the fastest way to cover ground on a journey) so there is this to consider as well.

If you’re not commuting (like how everyone is remote now), range is overrated.

Had a PHEV because I thought I would need the gas, ended up only putting gas in 8 times out of 4 years of ownership.

As soon as the SR MY came out, reserved it knowing 200+ miles was more than enough.

Only have 120v at home and just charge overnight… never had an issue… and if I do… just go to a supercharger and “top off” for less than $5.

Most local drivers can probably live with 100m range EVs.

1 Like

lmao, those people kill me. “We’re having our first kid! I just bought a minivan!”

Tesla is demonstrating strong pricing power… The comparable standard
Mode 3 trim model was ~$36k a year ago and today starts at approx $47k
(up >30%). While the standard range Model 3 has appreciated the most,
other models have risen $5-8k also. Tesla is raising prices from a position
of strength and is still not seeing wait times go down, which range from 2-3
months wait to 6+ months depending on the model. If one purchases a
more expensive trim model with FSD, Tesla is beginning to prioritize these
shipments with earlier delivery. Tesla believes that supply/demand
dynamic will persist for the next 18 months at least. Tesla is able to utilize
this period given their superior value prop for customers to layer on
further pricing. We had underappreciated the pricing power and lead Tesla
that has and expect Tesla won’t need to cut price until 2024/25 to maintain
its market share

Source

How many price increases do we see the rest of year? 2-3 is my guess.

1 Like

Rumor is they are making room at the lower end for the new SR Model Y.

But with this demand… they don’t really need to.

1 Like

May bring back some people that were priced out with recent price changes.

The mythical Model 2.

Looks like mine was the first to sell !!

Although maybe tied w @Egp

Gonna be a good week for Vroom.

1 Like

Wow. That price increase really helped Vroom out!