Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

because unfortunately, the regular people don’t know better. It’s crazy how used M3’s are going for over MSRP when you get a brand new one for a lot cheaper.

2019 SR with 10k miles = $46k. Brand New 2021 SR+ with < 5 miles = $41k
https://www.vroom.com/inventory/tesla-model-3-2019-5YJ3E1EA4KF401433

4 Likes

For pure flipping it’s not worth it, given Tesla doesn’t allow lease buyout, you are hit with sales tax when purchasing.

Best scenario is you need a car while waiting for something else, like the Bronco or F150 lightning, being able to get an SR trim is the best.

They do, however, allow 3rd party dealer buyouts (why they allow this but not 1st party buyouts is beyond me), so there is a path to flipping without incurring the purchase sales tax in many states

3 Likes

Are you saying one cannot get the car delivered and immediately sell it as an “open box” -deal to someone whose delivery will otherwise be months ahead? That’s the same as Disney FastPass model, to skip the line if you’re willing to pay a few K extra

Read @mllcb42’s reply above. 3rd-party can buy out lease currently, but some already stopped buying out leases (Vroom). So your options are limited with lease, who knows when Tesla will block 3rd party buyout.

I am not talking about selling a lease. I’d buy the car and then sell it without any (with minimal) mileage instead, to someone who’s not willing to wait and wants to pay extra for convenience of having what you want, when you want.

Then it depends on how much your buyer will pay, because your out-of-door price includes sale tax and fee.

What’s the money factor on a Tesla lease nowadays, last time I checked it was (equivalent) 5.68% APR

You then pay sales tax, effectively minimizing any significant profit.

1 Like

There’s no sales tax on EVs in NJ!

1 Like

Ok…but that’s not the case in many other states.

I’ll do ya one better: 2020 SR+ Model 3 (no FSD) with 5.3k miles for $58.6k. HAHAHA!
https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1879896

The Tesla cult haha

Look at the carfax for this, they’ve been selling it since July. It was serviced in Toyota dealership when basically new?!? and to top it all off: " This vehicle may have previously been used as a government owned vehicle, police car, taxi, demonstrator, leased vehicle, or daily rental vehicle. Please consult the Carfax report linked HERE for available information."

There is something beyond fishy happening here.

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but how are the flippers getting around the 3 year ownership requirement for the state rebate in a place like NJ? Is that just not enforced/is that their bet?

1 Like

Taken to a Toyota dealer for service 3 weeks after purchase? Dafuq? Not like Virginia doesn’t have Tesla service centers either. Something weird for sure.

That and the fact the even without the rebate there’s equity in many cases.

Someone here sold a sr+ bought originally for $39k, for $45k.

3 Likes

Almost pulled the trigger on a Red M3 performance that popped up just now

5 Likes

If I wanted to sell privately, I bet I could get $45k+ easily.

2 Likes

Used market is crazy and it’s gonna be that way for a bit! Still baffled at how many people would pay more for used vs new.

1 Like