Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

Is leases125 allowed in here?

1 Like

3 Likes

If you want out of a Tesla, just take your medicine on the trade-in or ride it out. They can be brutal with resale value.

You can always go the DIY route and list it on Autotrader. Just expect the usual lowballers and sketch people. But you may get a few extra $k out of it.

1 Like

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Tesla Cybertruckā€¦ Reservation & Ordering Discussion

Donā€™t worry you are not alone. Just saw a guy on Mach E forums complaining. He was offered $16k for his low mileage 2021 Mach E Select, for trade-in on a Mach E GT.

A lot of EVs in general are seeing some crazy depreciation. EV6 and Ioniq5 are losing 50% value in less than 2 years. Merc EQ models and Mach Eā€™s are tanking. Etcā€¦

1 Like

What are peopleā€™s thoughts on getting a used Model S, something thatā€™s >2020 and <40,000 miles. Whatā€™s a good price to target for?

How long do you intend to keep it and how many miles do you want to drive?

Was speaking to a T service manager the other day. They are retiring their older S from the loaner fleet because they are getting too expensive to maintain.

2 Likes

Intending to keep it for 4-5 years and probably do 12k every year.

Have you ran a hypothetical TCO? Assuming you buy a 2019 AWD LR with 30k miles for $40k. After 6 years and another 60k miles, you would sell it for probably $15k?
$25k to own for 6 years doesnā€™t sound good to me but then again I made a lot of assumptions up there that might not be true.

I havenā€™t. Was seeing if someone else had done it and what they ended up doing. I could do it, but I guess Iā€™m also wondering about the car itself. I could certainly get a new one, but not too keen on spending $80k on a Model S.

Based on my experiences I would budget $4000 a year in maintenance if you are buying an out of warranty Model S and intend to continue using Tesla service. The only way to make this ownership practical is to find a good private EV mechanic. Even then I would budget $2000 a year. If you do want to use Tesla service, I would consider an extended warranty. Tesla service does not repair, they replace.

3 Likes

Did you look into XCare? Seems like going Tesla used isnā€™t a great ideaā€¦

XCare is solid, but not cheap. You can get a discount code from teslamotorsclub. What state are you in? I think you will find, in the end, the TCO is no greater than leasing a new EV (eg I5, EQS)

Located in CA. Already have some other EVs like that haha, which is why Iā€™m looking into something different. For what the I5, EQS, IONIQs offer at their price range, no brainer to go for those before a Model S.

What is the maintenance for? I always thought teslas were minimal/zero maintenance (ie brakes and tires).

Ignoring panel gaps, rattles.

Batteries and/or motors dying.

The ā€œannual averageā€ might be one lump sum preceded/followed by many years of 0 spend.

1 Like

Commons failures on a Model S at higher miles.

Suspension. Controls Arms, Trailing Arms, Outer Tie Rod Ends, Camber Arms, Shocks.
Steering. Rack, Inner -tie rod ends, u-joint
headlights, taillights, fog lights
Electrical harnesses (from shorts in lights)
Charge port
Door handles
MCU & Cameras
screen bubbling.
12V battery
Frunk/Trunk actuators
drive units

If the original owner was fastidious, maybe you only fix what breaks in the future, but usually these need quite a bit of catch-up service.

1 Like

Are people paying for all of this out of pocket once warranty ends? I see quite a lot of old Model Sā€™ on the road.