Tesla Ordering Tips - And Most Other Reasonable Things Tesla

And no ultrasonic sensors.

Now seeing inventory in San Jose, CA for every spec / trim / color / wheel combo for 3 and Y

2 Likes

And Corte Madera is packedā€¦like parking on the street packed.

Yikes - Tesla might have a massive deliveries miss on their hands this quarterā€¦

1 Like

The car carriers Iā€™ve seen on my 80 commute have been mostly Korean and Japanese, with a few Ford thrown in (saw a Lightning on a carrier Friday). The days of multiple Tesla carriers per commute are in the past.

You can see, in the dataā€¦ the lack of inventory all summer and then doors falling off towards end of quarter into Sept and now continuing into Octā€¦

2 Likes

Maybe theyā€™ll throw out a sweetheart offer like free supercharging for a year to shore that up.

Got a MY reservation at 56k that Iā€™m prob going to pass on. I remember during the beginning of covid people were refusing delivery and prices eventually dropped. Donā€™t know whoā€™s paying 65k for this thing.

Thatā€™s a sweet price point to be in for an MY and not lose much value as you drive off unless you donā€™t plan on keeping it longer than a month.

65k was a good deal when they were selling for over msrp in the market but itā€™s a different story today.

2 Likes

are you in california?

Are you following the Model Y Performance as well? How are the 2022s looking in terms of resale value?

Cryptocurrency Investing GIF by hungrynaru

As both MY and M3 have cutover to model year 2023, I will be adding these datapoints to the chart when they become available in Manheim.

Right now, for 22 model year the performance models track about $4K higher then the LR models. The gap is much smaller as you go back model years.

1 Like

It should be noted that the average miles for a 2022 is 6K and for 2021 20K.
For example, if you have a new 2022 MYLR with 500 miles, that gains a +$1600 adjustment

3 Likes

Itā€™s a bottomless pitā€¦ Why buy new?

5 Likes

Which is interesting because the new cars will be coming without ultrasonic sensors so that should in theory make the older cars more valuable ā€” For now.

The Fremont built Ys after mid October will have the Comfort Suspension and have a softer rider like other EVs. Thatā€™s my biggest complaint about the current Y,

The tax credit will push prices down further though.

Is the tax credit even confirmed?

1 Like

I donā€™t think average buyers are sophisticated enough to know these kind of nuances. Maybe some of them know the general implication of the tax credit because itā€™s somewhat being talked on the news.

1 Like

There is a upper limit on Tesla demand but I think itā€™s oversupply too. Austin just hit 20K cars built and is expected to produce another 10K by early Dec.

30K is basically the entire year supply of Ioniq 5 or EV6s in 2022. Non Tesla EVs are beginning to sit on lots too so overall demand is waning too.