Tesla on the way to gain mass acceptance and become a mainstream player?

Chief Deputy Kevin Kraus said the decision to test drive the Model 3 was based on the Sheriff’s Office’s goal to become more environmentally conscious and cost-efficient, both easily attainable objectives with the help of electric vehicles. Kraus noted that his interest stemmed from news of law enforcement agencies adding Teslas to their lineup of patrol vehicles, [such as the Fremont Police] and the Bargersville, [Indiana police department]

This prompted the Office to contact Tesla directly, who in turn gave them a Model 3 to use for the week.

1 Like

Not sure if Tesla is ready for police duty yet…

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/3772890002

2 Likes

Allegheny County sheriff department still has a few Luminas in the fleet, so at least they are looking to upgrade to something newer.

1 Like

This was due to cop that used it previous shift forgetting to plug it in. Had nothing to do with battery range or reliability.

4 Likes

But forgetting to plug it in is the whole problem. A 5 minute stop for gas is much more efficient (for police duty) than 30 minutes to an hour for charging the car.

3 Likes

In reality though you’d only need to charge in between shifts.

I’m sure Tesla would pay or at least help subsidize some emergency vehicle only superchargers.

2 Likes

Sure. When they can get the rest of the super charger availability up.

https://twitter.com/pandajigu/status/1192937332300664833?s=21

https://twitter.com/mdsmiller/status/1184627203872415744?s=21

I don’t even look for these things and my twitter feed is constantly “super charger down”. SD/Camino Del Sur, Culver City, San Mateo seem to have chargers offline more than online. Thank goodness you can charge at home.

In that case, in a chase, that 5 min fill up stop would have the same result…losing the suspect.

I’m sure you don’t…poor you, always being harassed by these damn superchargers. BTW, are you aware the Teslas can use the regular DCFC too?

Because they can’t get their own? What’s stopping them?
But honestly, even a free L2 that Tesla provides would be enough if they just plug in when they park.

If anyone is wondering if Tesla is going mainstream…in CA they already did. The 3 was close to being second best sold car in the state last Q and probably will take the crown in next Q.

1 Like

Sorry but L2 is only suitable for home charging or when grounding in between a 1st and a 3rd shift in this instance.

And yes there are adapters for DCFC L3 but they do come at a cost and may not use the full capability nor speed.

1 Like

To this day the only Model S (and actually the only Tesla) I’ve ever been in was a taxi in Amsterdam, about four years ago.

But the cop could have put gas in quickly at the beginning of the shift. Until charging takes the same time as filling up a tank of gas, I don’t see how it is a viable option for police use.

Note: I’m not saying electric vehicles are bad, just that I don’t think that any emergency personnel should currently have to wait 30 minutes even at a supercharger to “fill up.”

2 Likes

I have a long list of cars i have never been into…Camry is one of them. Is that supposed to mean anything?

You are not alone in thinking all police cars do 300mile+ chases on daily basis…but why? In SoCal for example, if a chase last for say 100 miles it would involve different jurisdiction, the reason why you see cars dropping the chase while others join in. Truth is police uses cars for many purposes other than chasing so to have a few evs along side gas cars is really nothing new.

1 Like

Where did I ever say that all police cars do chases every day? All I am saying is that if someone forgets to plug in their electric police car, it is a 30+ minute fill up vs 5 minutes with gas.

It might if this thread was about Camrys gaining mass acceptance and becoming mainstream.

But instead the thread is about Tesla on the way to gaining acceptance and becoming a mainstream player.

Brilliant question. I think we all learned a lot.

Man if you say anything negative about electric cars or God forbid Tesla people from California act like you called their baby ugly.

7 Likes

That is something we both agree on…however that’s not all you said. My beef is with your viable option comment.

It would have been more viable if Tesla had delivered the battery swapping they promised.

1 Like

If my electric car isn’t charged and I’m one of the hundreds of thousands of people who haven’t had power for several days, I’ll just grab an Uber when we get the order to evacuate.

3 Likes

Wow, I can’t believe a site called “Teslarati” is reporting overly optimistic news about Tesla!

5 Likes

Would have been interesting to be able to hot swap batteries.

1 Like