Tesla on Autopilot Slams into Truck at High Rate of Speed

You’ll notice there was a thread here a week or two ago of someone that rear ended someone while on autopilot in his tesla and was upset his insurance was going up, and we collectively did tell him it was his liability. That doesn’t mean that the tesla marketing is also reasonable though. Those aren’t mutually exclusive things.

1 Like

Necromancing this thread, but fascinating details from recent depositions

If I had Gen1 Autopilot, I would never, ever, ever use it again :astonished:

I know, I know:

3 Likes

NHTSA has decided to insert themselves

As an engineer this title makes me cringe. Speed is a rate, so a high rate of speed is redundant.

1 Like

95510495_1555093394647398_4936000154294550528_n

4 Likes

Personally I’m a 2nd derrivative man, and every headline writer ever should be packed in a rocket and shot into the sun (all pof Buzzfeed first, please).

I wish they would have asked about the computer crash rate, and what happens while driving if the AP computer experiences a crash. The fact that it has crash log telemetry is not interesting. It would be interesting if it didn’t have any. I would drive the AP1-3 and my Volvo Pilot Assist all the same, never fully trusting and always alert.

The root of the issue in the semi accident is that AP1 was basically designed to follow the car ahead at a safe distance or track an empty lane. That’s about it. Despite warnings, to uninformed people it seems like it’s driving because despite handling only 1% off all possible driving scenarios, the 1% it knows how to happens 99.9% of the time.