Tesla Model Y vs X6

If this is in the wrong forum please move it or delete it.
I’m looking to lease a car in a couple of months and I test drove Vellar, Volvo, Mercedes and X4, X3 and model y.I really like the BMW X4 but no remote start in 2020 and 2021 models kinda feel ridiculous. Which brought me to the X6. Because where I’m at winter is brutal and being able to warm the car in the morning is necessary.
I know Tesla leases are terrible, Tesla model y will cost me $686 for 15,000 miles with 0 down. But I’ve heard a lot of bad stories from bad customer service to non existent help from Tesla, in terms of loaners ect.
Which one would you lease if you could and why. Will the X6 cost over $700. My build for the X6 is like $70,500 with everything that I want.

:popcorn:

1 Like

BMW X6 is my favorite among the cars you’ve listed. No shot you can get it under $700.
15,000 miles on a $0 due at signing broker deal on an X6 with an MSRP of $70,500 is close to $975 per month. That’s with 8% off MSRP and buy rate MF.

You might have to re-adjust your expectations. Either take the Tesla or go for an MB GLC (as they have remote start).

I priced out a loaner deal on a X5 that has remote start ($68000 MSRP & 16% off)
Still close to $800 p/m

Perhaps consider a different brand if you want to stay under $700? I priced a 330Xi loaner that has resort start and that is for $496 might be worth looking into if you’re okay compromising on a SUV.

1 Like

X5/6 is comparable to a Model X. (Trust me on this, we have one of each and the third row on the X is equally as useless as the one you can equip on the X5)

X3 is more like the Model Y, so compare it to that.

4 Likes

I’m still doing some research. Might have to sacrifice the remote start and stay with the x4, I’m sure I can get that below $700. I hated the Mercedes glc 300 coupe. X6 seems to be out if my reach at the moment. My take on the model y, it’s different for sure but it felt cheap, in terms of interior. I know a lot of people might disagree and I hated the fact that everything in the car utilize the 15 inch screen.

2 Likes

I currently own a Tesla Model 3 and while the car had quite a few quality control issues from the factory my experience with Tesla service has apparently been very different from the norm. I had to get my driver side door/window seal replaced, passenger side door panel changed (it was the wrong color) and for good measure got some panel gaps near my trunk adjusted. Each time the appointments were easily scheduled from the app, and when they had to order a part (door panel) it came within a week and I had someone from the Tesla side texting me keeping me updated throughout. I also got a loaner Model S each time without asking. I’m in the midwest, not a big Tesla market, so maybe that has something to do with it.

On the other hand if you’re choosing to lease, the Tesla is not for you. The purchase payments will be very comparable to the lease payments and you’ll be left with nothing at the end. As of right now while the Y is still relatively rare they’re going to hold their value like nothing else on the market. My model 3 I put $0 down on is still keeping up with its KBB trade in value, I got an offer from Carvana within $1200 of my payoff.

Personally I think the X3 and 4 are in a great spot right now in terms of actual luxury cars, they lease really well, their infotainments are top notch and they still have physical buttons and none of the wind noise issues that Tesla has. The only thing holding me back is the 15k miles. Leases at 15k aren’t the best and if you’re in danger of going over on your miles maybe consider buying the Model Y and sell it if you don’t like it or if you get tired of it? If purchase is a definite no then BMW will serve you well.

1 Like

If you’re thinking of buying an a new X3, you might want to consider X30e, the plug-in Hybrid which has the tax credits that could make the deal better.

2 Likes

I would buy the Y versus leasing a X6 or any BMW
Reason being-you will recoup that monthly payment in an equity with the Tesla, on the lease you have no such option as BMW’s are inflated in the RV’s and even if you sell it before lease end-it won’t be as good as the model Y will hold it’s value…

I leased a Hellcat that would have cost me $28,000 for the 39 month duration, I should have bought either a Tesla or a Honda Accord (Accord would’ve been paid off in 3 years) but then again-I wouldn’t have had nearly as much fun as I did in the Hellcat…so basically it is a DESIRE vs NECESSITY and how you manage your financial decisions. Happiness is a choice, you can choose to be happy or miserable-it’s all up to you :sunglasses:

Depending on your state, you could knock off upwards of $11K on the Y (rebates, incentives etc) so FREE money towards it-and it will not depreciate $11K in 3 years, thats for sure :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes