Tesla Model 3 vs Model Y in Hawaii?

Hello all,

I’m currently debating between a Tesla Model 3 and a Model Y to finance in Hawaii. My decision is largely influenced by the potential equity retention in a year or two as I plan on selling it, or at least have that option.

While I’m leaning towards the Model 3 due to its lower MSRP and resultant lower monthly payments, I’m curious if the Model Y could potentially hold its value better and offer a better return when sold.

One of the reasons I am considering tesla is their price tag is consistent and they are readily available. No need for additional shipping fee and wait time of 2-4 weeks

I’d appreciate any thoughts, experiences, or data you might have. Thanks in advance!

I see no reason to assume a better TCO with the Y, so go with the 3.

2 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

19 Likes

I’d get the Y on the islands.

2 Likes

Lol I meant what you see on their site is what you pay. dealerships here throw wild numbers at you.

Agree. Y has more utility and price difference isn’t significant.

3 Likes

You are saying that because it is a bigger vehicle and therefore better on the island?

1 Like

I could be wrong on this but once the new M3 comes out, I was expecting a lower demand for the older ones

Who knows what will happen but I wouldn’t expect either to hold their value as your base case. Way too many of them, other competitors in the market now and too much government money being thrown at them.

Probably depends on how much cost cutting they do

1 Like

Bingo. Same with the fed money. Once that’s gone, are people still willing to buy the base model 3 at 40k with no other incentive?

If you needed a large vehicle, I doubt you would have asked about a 3 in the first place.

Bigger for the sake of being bigger :-1:t2:

1 Like

I’d say keep the Lexus, get the Y if you qualify for all incentives and HUI the hell out of it :joy: @Half-ez

EDIT: That was somebody else with the Lexus :joy:

At least that one doesnt have a scheduled sunset for another decade.

I actually reached out to VW dealership and they provided the following numbers. This is my first attempt at this so I could use all your guidance here. Here are the numbers:

LEASE DETAILS

CAP COST - $ 40,290.00

DEAL CONTRIBUTIONS - ($ 7,500.00)

Acquisition Fee - $699

License Fee - $650

Doc Fee - $395.00

State inspection - $ 25.00

FEES - $ 1,769.00

ADJUSTED CAP COST
$ 34.912.40

I would want a AWD vehicle in Hawaii. Not just for rain, but beach/light off-roading.

So it would be a Y.

Having said that, I can’t imagine driving that much in Hawaii where the additional EV/Hybrid costs offset the added expense.

But I’ve only gone as a tourist.

Isn’t Model 3 the size of a BMW 3 series? I would consider one but I’m not stooping down to get into a vehicle that small. I have a hard enough time getting into my son’s 328i.

1 Like

To be honest, there is not much off roads/beach driving in Oahu, at least not where I live. Other islands definitely.

1 Like

Model 3 might actually be lower than a 3 series.

1 Like