Tesla Model 3 VS BMW i4 RATE THIS DEAL 8/22/23 POST

I’m moving to the Bay Area, in an apartment building with a few EV spots.
I am struggling to determine if I should get a BMW i4 vs a Tesla Model 3. I do like the idea of going electric based on the drive/speed.
Pros:
BMW i4: Better craftsmanship and interior, better handling/performance, looks better and unique compared to the Tesla market in the Bay; charging however seems like it could be a little more annoying
Tesla: Charging is quicker and at least has car entertainment (Netflix, youtube), cheaper than BMW i4 (overall)

Or, should I just consider getting the 4 series?! Any recommendations. Looks and drive are a big priority for me. But convenience is also important (charging).

I’m struggling to understand why this is necessary when you are driving a car.

^Ashleigh

4 Likes

Model 3 has a serious performance advantage. In almost every way, perhaps to excess. I would say the I4 has a more comfortable ride and is probably “fast enough.” Drive them back-to-back and it’s apparent. You really can’t go wrong with either one – but I4 is more expensive. If you can swing it, I would go I4.

You don’t watch it while driving. You use it on charging stops.

On that note, as someone with personal experience with both the i4 is the better overall car but the Tesla kills it on charging network.

3 Likes

I guess that makes more sense. All I remember about Tesla charging was being happy getting out of the backseat because the seatbelt kept trying to choke me to death…but then again, someone was driving a wee bit fast. :wink:

1 Like

For me, I would say the charging convenience is a big factor since that is a quality of life consideration. If you have to charge everyday (depending on your commute) and your apt building does not regularly have a charger available, then Tesla is your only option. But if charging availability is not an issue, I would personally go for i4 if you can afford it (luxury and not cookie cutter like all the other Teslas in the bay).

2 Likes

Yea, these are the things I am struggling with! The Tesla entertainment is only for charging haha! Whereas the i4 I’d be bored charging.

I can afford the $600 payments for lease. Not as concerned with that payment as I am with the convenience, performance, and beauty of the car (I really don’t love the idea of not finding my car in the parking lot easily haha!).

Would a bmw 4 series generally be better? Or is the electric performance better in every way?

Do you qualify for taking the $7,500 tax credit on a model 3?

1 Like

I don’t qualify for the tax credit. And I don’t think Tesla really gives it on their leases like the other companies, right?

Yeah really comes down to how often you’ll be charging on the road.

My commute is about 40 miles roundtrip. 5 days a week. 200 miles a week for business. I assume probably once a week.

Does anyone have experience with the bay area electrify stations? Is it as busy as they come? Are they reliable?

BMW does not have access to the Tesla superchargers either huh

If you want to blend in with the other 5 million Teslas in the SFBA, get a Tesla. If you want to be unique, get an i4. An EV will never be as convenient as an ICE car. There are a lot of charging options, most require you to sign up - like at work and probably apartments as well, but there are also a lot of EVs.

charging at non tesla stations for our chevy bolt has always been fine for me in the bay area, I assume because everyone has a tesla / at home / at work charger.

2 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s insight!

Could anyone comment on the actual performance of electric vs gas?
Aka - i4 vs 440i?

Everyone’s experience is different however as someone who regularly travels long distance by road I can say Tesla is as seamless as it gets against a comparable ICE vehicle with the size and ease of use of their network.

EA on its base layer isn’t terrible, but once you add variables like under-maintained sites, less than ideal and or inconsistent placement for travelers it really can become an adventure.

1 Like

There are literally dozens of YouTube videos and blogs about this.

2 Likes

I find this highly variable by area and type of charger. I would never rely on the peninsula EA stations, for example - at the before/after work times I try there’s almost always a wait and often many broken. That’s substantially worse than it was a year or two ago.

Non-EA dc fast chargers are usually way more available and reliable. L2 chargers are highly variable as well.

1 Like

That’s helpful to hear, since I’ll be leaving in the bay area. I suppose in an i4, I’ll only really have access to the EA charging? Not sure what the terminology all means, sorry! Haha

Now I guess I am between a gas BMW vs Tesla.

EA is electrify america. The other major network is EVGo.

I would say that EVGo is more reliable than EA, but if you’re going for the i4 it comes with free charging on the EA network.

What I would recommend is, if you are commuting to the same worksite regularly, you map out your route compared to where EA/tesla superchargers are and see how inconvenient it is. I also recommend using plugshare.com so you can get an idea of how good/bad the non-tesla charging sites are. The few EA stations I’ve used in south bay have generally been fine, but there are definitely reliability problems with the EA network as a whole. Would not recommend using EA if you are regularly going to be road tripping outside the bay.