Tesla Model 3 Purchase

Hey guys feel free to move this if it belongs elsewhere

I’m a new grad and am looking to get into a Model 3. Kept a Y LR and 3 performance overnight and pretty much am set on a 3. Just looking to get feedback from some fellow hackers on their experiences with Tesla, but more specifically the model 3. I’ve done deals on other brands, but Tesla has been somewhat foreign to me for ownership experience.

I know the question of “are they reliable?” can be ambiguous, but from what I’ve seen they can go up to 100k miles with little issues.

I’m leaning towards a used one with low miles, but the of course the reps at Tesla suggested to just buy new as they’re closely matched with the pre-owned and you don’t necessarily know what you’ll get. One gripe I do have is that Tesla apparently does not certify their pre-owned models? If the vehicle shows up with a severely degraded range, then you’re stuck with it which is odd.

I should be making more than enough to receive the tax credit and will probably opt for a Performance or LR.

Just looking for general experience from past owners

(note: I opted for leashackr because the tesla reddit and forums can be “more” bias)

If you qualify for the fed credit, definitely new. I would be wary of used ones that were used as ride share with a lot of fast charging which degrades the battery the most and potentially a lot.

I had no idea about DC Fast Chargers jacking up the battery life. I guess that makes sense when you think of how battery’s expand and contract.

The nice thing about buying a used Tesla, is they have a very market competitive factory warranty. If you can find a good deal on a used Model 3 with some warranty left, I think it can be a good value.

I don’t think you have all the facts straight w/r/t CPO. Tesla does offer a used warranty extension with includes vehicle reconditioning. Almost every Tesla comes with a 8year (to unlimited) or 120K (to unlimited) battery and drive unit warranty. This will usually cover battery replacement for degradation if it exceeds some % of loss.

Here is an example M3P CPO in VA

Versus this new demo M3P in VA w/ a $5320 discount

Similar to your personal phone. Those Turo and Lyft/Uber units are very problematic from what I hear.

Appreciate the information. Battery degradation was one of my main concerns with a used unit, but their lifetime powertrain warranty is indeed competitive. Would hate to take a gamble on things like the A/C going out.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.