Tesla Model 3 News

If you want to see largely automated assembly in action there is a mesmerizing video of i3’s being build by BMW. Over an hour long.

I think they intentionally kept people off camera as much as possible.

Tesla may have something similar up somewhere. I know about this one because I saw it when we were waiting for my wife’s i3 to be built.

On the broader question of Tesla’s future to some extent it is irrelevant. They wanted to push the industry toward electrification and if they died tomorrow they would go having already done that. The number of electric cars that will appear over the next five years is huge. And that is great for consumers because if you don’t like Tesla’s decisions about interfaces, seats or colors or whatever you can go elsewhere. For EV fans it is going to be a fantastic time to in the market for a car.

Volvos coming in 2019 (2020 MY)

I’ve seen that one. Really cool video, but yea there’s still tons of people in the loop on that one. I believe Tesla is shooting for a truly autonomous production process with humans in the loop for oversight and quality evaluation.

LoL. Every company has announced their “EVs” coming out in “2020”. I’ll believe it when I see it. Many of the companies haven’t even specified if they’re full EV or just plugin hybrids. Many of the car manufacturers are realizing they’re toast if they don’t complete with companies like Tesla, so they all rushed to make announcements this year.

1 Like

You better believe Chinese more than you believe Musk :grin:
They are dead serious about EV by 2020.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackperkowski/2017/10/10/china-raises-the-bar-with-new-electric-vehicle-rules/#5c88060477ac

1 Like

Everyone’s serious about EVs by 2020! Likely 3 years out since at the earliest all these companies will be releasing their EVs by LATE 2020. I’ll see how my Model 3 compares 2.5 years later :joy:

Did you even read articles? Some probably smart people there… Smarter than fan boys, for sure :slight_smile:

Both are bucking performance and sales trends, with a close eye on China. While Tesla has skyrocketed in value off flashy products, lofty goals and Musk’s public persona, Volvo’s 90 years of experience coupled with massive Chinese financing could unseat Tesla from its perch as a top tech and luxury EV brand.

“With the financial backing Volvo’s got, they have the ability to try new things that they would not have been trying before,” said Karl Brauer, executive publisher of Autotrader and Kelley Blue Book. “They can position themselves in a way they’ve never positioned themselves before.”

I’ve read tons of articles about Volvo’s plans along with bmw, vw, Honda, Toyota, and just about every other car company. At this point it’s all talk. Tesla and Chevy are the only two companies with 200+ mile range which to me sets them apart from the rest.

For some reason, I have more confidence in Volvo to deliver on their promise, than in Musk :wink:

The Polestar 2 will be a midsized electric car that goes up against the Model 3. Tesla is currently struggling to ramp up production for the Model 3 and to keep it to an affordable price point. The Polestar 2 is in the engineering stage and is slated to begin production in late 2019. Although the Volvo Group has a number of hybrids, this will be its first full battery electric vehicle. It will be a higher volume vehicle than the Polestar 1. This vehicle will be on the compact modular platform underpinning the XC40 instead of SPA.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/volvos-polestar-1-600-hp-hybrid-sports-coupe-150-miles-range-coming-2019/

Yup. I have full confidence that Volvo can deliver a hybrid car in the next 3 years too. LoL. You know what else I’m 100% confident of? I’m 100% confident that tesla can deliver 300+ mile range ev cars. Why? Because tesla’s been doing it since 2012!

You are blinded, my friend, and don’t want to see that Polestar 2 model will be full EV and it’s planned for the end of 2019 as direct competition for Model 3 :grin:
I hope you have your Tesla by then.

Will it come with a fully functional dashboard :grin:

I bet it will :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No offense, but I think you’re the one blinded. You know absolutely nothing about the Polestar 2 and you’re making all kinds of ridiculous claims about how it’s direct competition for the Model 3. Have you seen a picture of the Polestar 2? Do you know the range? Any 0-60 times? Any info about the interior? Do you know anything about their plans for a charging network? All we have is a picture of a hybrid coupe that Volvo “plans” to release in the next few years.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely hope that Volvo and other companies will release a ton of EV cars to compete with Tesla. I’m by no means an environmentalist, but I love the idea of EVs becoming mainstream. I’m not sure what’s up with so much nay-saying when it comes to Tesla on this forum, but there’s no denying that Tesla is changing the way car companies are planning their future development. In my opinion that’s absolutely a great thing.

LoL. Didn’t someone already post this a few times? Maybe it’s on the other forums I’m on, but I’d take it all with a grain of salt. It’s a Detroit company with no doubt connections to the big 3. I also find it funny that these old guys are nitpicking some really ridiculous things. I may be totally wrong, but I feel like these guys are getting paid off.

EDIT: ok, I’m not going crazy. It was posted on post 571. Seen it all over the Tesla forums too.

There’s a picture of a concept car (that’s in my opinion kinda ugly) with no additional details. -shrug-

It may not be the prettiest car on the market (looks are subjective anyways) but Volvo itself indicates it will be a direct competitor to the Model 3. Ursus was spot on in his assessment and wasn’t pulling it out of thin air.

LoL. It’s not even a car! It’s a concept! Also, every car company in the world is touting how they’re going to have the next Model 3 killer by 2020. What planet are you living on where that makes any sense?