Tesla lease - what to expect?

Hey guys, what would you consider a good lease deal for Tesla Model 3 / Model S, in terms of MF/RF/LH score? I don’t expect the numbers to be impressive as BMW, just hope to learn about the room for negotiation, if any…

1 Like

It’s Tesla, there is no negotiations. You can easily see how much a lease would be on their website.

6 Likes

Spoiler alert it’s going to be ugly!

6 Likes

Leases on Tesla’s are disastrous, which is a pretty big shame. They are fixed prices and you literally order it online. Non-standard car buying experience. Plus, at the end of the lease you have no option to purchase it because Tesla is amassing all lease returns to build its autonomous ride share fleet (or something).

Get your state/local EV incentives lined up and buy one, that is your best option for dollar value.

1 Like

According to this Tesla models (especially Model 3) incur lower depreciation than German cars. So I might actually lose little to purchase one and get rid of it in a year or two?

A side question regarding “fixed price”: Are Tesla stores like Apple stores with uniform pricing and services, eliminating the need to shop around and compare the quotes?

1 Like

Buy, don’t lease. Everyone pays the same price, which helps keep resale values up.

4 Likes

There are price effected demos/test drive cars. You’ll have to use a tool to look for those, not be picky about color or build, etc.

You can save up to 20% (in the past, not so much these days but ymmv).

Have fun.

https://tesla-info.com/inventory.html?country=US&state=&sale=New&min=0&max=99999999&milemin=2000&milemax=2000000&ap=All&model=All&variant=All&title=All&minyear=2019&maxyear=2020&colour=All&interior=All&seats=All&wheels=0

I can contribute - I’ve leased 2 Model S’s, first one was a order at full price, second one was a showroom deal at $15k discount. I drove 50k miles over 36 months on both vehicles and leasing came out ahead. This might depend more on your potential exit strategy than what you’re paying monthly.

2014 P85D MSRP $115k + Tax = $124k
Leased: $62k over 36 months (incl tax)
Cost If purchased: $64k ($124k - 60k resale after 36 mos)
Result: Lease is $2k Cheaper

2017 100D MSRP $110k Sale Price $95k + Tax = $102k
Leased: $45k over 36 months (incl tax)
Cost If Purchased: $52k ($102k - $50k Resale after 36 mos)
Result: Lease is $7k Cheaper

Something else worth mentioning is I saved $20k in fuel on both cars due to a $10k investment in solar panels in 2014 so, optional, “fuel savings” could be part of the calculus.

The difference is not great, but as a lessor I can choose to “buy” out at anytime. Also, if you purchased and gotten into an accident, your resale will be hit due to accident disclosure. Leases can be returned no problem whether you had accidents or not, without penalty.

Moving forward, Model S Long Range could be worth purchasing if you’re doing a lot of miles, and Model S Performance has a slight lean toward lease. Showroom discount would definitely give a lean toward lease.

Keep in mind that by year end, they will probably come out with big improvements to the Raven drivetrain, as well as a likely battery overhaul. So if you purchase one today at full price, you’re looking at a potentially big drop in resale price.

3 Likes

Tesla does not allow the leasee to do a “buyout” on the Model3.

1 Like

That’s what they signed buyers into, but we won’t know if their position will change come 2021/2022 when the large # of leased vehicles come back. Just pure speculation they may well be “protecting” the cars from being bought out a few months after being leased.

OP may be best served going to the Tesla forums and looking up more info there since there’s nothing to negotiate (unfortunately)

1 Like

There is no negotiations with Tesla.

Can’t imagine leasing one. I think when I looked it was less than 15% more to buy. With that the 3/y are reselling for just makes sense to buy.

Fuel savings? Nahhhh Electric and hybrid cars are sold at a premium over gas cars. So you are paying for it that way. You are paying a premium for the technology so in reality there is no cost savings basis while owning electric or hybrid vehicles. Unless you own the car for a set amount of years than eventually you will see the savings, but until then not so much.

1 Like

IDK, Bolt and i3 can be driven pretty cheap.

Comparing it to the usual 10-15mpg I get in prior vehicles (M3, M4, 650) on 91 octane, CA gas prices the ev is a godsend. Plus, if one wants to get nitty gritty, fuel is purchased with post-tax money and solar panels have major tax incentives. All my vehicles depreciated the same way the Teslas have so that was a wash to me, so I’m just comparing it against my usual consumption based on the vehicles I drive and the MPG I get and it wont necessarily match others.

1 Like

Unless you are writing off a % of your lease for business, and fuel/insurance are also business expenses.

1 Like

Not always the case. I just leased a Bolt with an effective monthly of ~$43/mo with $43 DAS.

I calculated that in terms of gas savings, it will save me about $10-12 compared to my BMW X2 for every 250 miles driven.

As per the OP Topic, you can’t negotiate on a Tesla Lease. I recently looked into the Model 3 lease, and it was $450-500/mo with $4500 DAS for a base or almost base Model 3. It makes a lot more sense to buy if you really want the Tesla.

2 Likes

Yeah defintely, except going to and from work can’t be written off so solar panels work great for that haha