Tesla/GM EV Tax Credit Extension Proposed - $7K credit to 400K more cars

Let me know your thoughts! I just drove one this morning and I’m coming from a Model 3. I didn’t like it as much as I thought it would. Bigger, more practical and less road/wind noise and better sound system but nowhere near as fun as the Model 3.

1 Like

Agree totally. This is how New York does their EV credit: it is based on electric range, but it also phases out for higher MSRPs. If you can afford a P100D Tesla, sorry you do not get an extra couple thousand bucks from the state :wink: Pretty sure people on Ontario were making a stink about this recently as well.

I had a deposit on a model 3 back in 2017. $35k car with tax credit it was head over heels better than competition. Then in reality the $35k was a pipe dream and the credit dried up. Tesla has gotten the pricing of the model 3s reasonable now, but if you threw another $7k on top it would trash cars like a Leaf (which I just leased in October). Although the model 3 I drove was a dual motor so well into the 40’s it is far more impressive than the leaf. Range, power, and for me I’m increasingly unwilling to buy a non-AWD vehicle (I did with the leaf but my primary vehicle will only ever be AWD from here-on).

Not sure where the leaf would slot in with all this. It already benefits from the credit, but the bolt is often cheaper. With $7k credit if chevy can’t sell every single one it makes there is something wrong with the world. This would pull the cheapest Model 3 AWD to $39,999 or so.

1 Like

Well, test driving a Model Y was all I thought it would be and more. IMHO, it just feels a lot more substantial than a Bolt, Kona, or a Leaf. I know it’s Tesla’s smaller SUV, but it’s big. It’s big on the inside - huge cargo space, a big secret compartment under the cargo space, and then there is the frunk. It also drives rather big. It doesn’t feel as big as my wife’s MDX, but I feel like I’m driving a larger vehicle. Unfortunately, I really have no idea what “fun” is when driving a vehicle. I’ve only owned pretty boring vehicles, but I do like the acceleration on a Tesla. Although, I thought the other EVs accelerated pretty nicely as well.

My lease is up in May and my wife’s in July. Any chance that legislation will actually take effect this year if passed? Or does it have to wait until 2022? My wife still wants to test drive a GLC, RDX, and an NX (sorry, I tried to talk her out of this one) before she decides what she wants. I’m really hoping that she picks the Tesla Y.

This is generally a negative thing, dynamically speaking. Cars shouldn’t feel bigger than they really are. In fact, lots of manufacturers dump millions into developing large cars that feel dynamically smaller.

Either way, the Model Y competes in the Compact CUV segment (CRV/RAV4/Tiguan) and looking at measurements and pics it appears to be on par, size wise.

I would think the Y has better space utilization interior wise because of the lack of center tunnel where the transmission usually goes and the greater leg room due to no firewall and flat bottom. I will give credit to 3 and Y for greenhouse with their large pane of glass.

I don’t think base Y’s are anything all that special. Very sparse interior wise and Spartan. Some people love that, but it just doesn’t feel like a car to me. I liked the ID4 design better, but yeah, it’s not as fast as a Model Y Performance (nor was it meant to be).

1 Like

Wonder if this applies to cars you just purchased

I doubt they would make it retroactive

1 Like

Pretty sure I read somewhere it’s not retroactive. Would be from day legislation takes effect

I would fly south and camp overnight for that! So long as there’s good espresso nearby!

I just hope the tax credit proposal gets passed and when it does, I really hope it won’t phase out when I take delivery of my Cybertruck. It likely won’t be available when the Cybertruck comes though, but hey I never heard of anyone complain on saving additional 7K on a new car.

This always amused me with the “not as fast”. How many people honestly care about 0-60, 1/4 mile, etc. When I was a kid I used to try to get the fastest thing I could afford, until at some point it hit me that I’m sitting in traffic with everyone else, but in a “super-fast” manner and the number of times I took the car to full throttle without winding up being the first at the next traffic light was exactly zero.

Once that realization hit me, the only speed I care about is does it have enough power to quickly get on the highway without creating a dangerous situation. At this point I’m more concerned with comfort and amenities than I am with speed, and that’s something Tesla vehicles don’t have much of (personal opinion).

2 Likes

Spend any modicum of time on the internet and you’ll find all the arm-chair racers come out of the wood work and say performance is priority 1.

1 Like

Yeah, and majority of these people drive some underpowered POS and the only reason they didn’t kill themselves yet is because of their fantasy life online :slight_smile:

That’s a bit overgeneralized don’t you think? I think a lot of people prefer performance first at least a lot of the people I interact with on car forums. In fact most of my clients come to me with aspirations of highest performance and are settling for lower performance and comfortability when performance is out of the budget.

1 Like

Not over generalized at all. That’s why I called them arm chair racers on the internet.

What real people actually do in real life is of course going to be different that what people fantasize about on the internet.

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting a long time for the German brands to release a 330/A4/C300-sized sports sedan EV with 200 mile range.

If a window opens up where federal and state incentives can be stacked, I won’t be waiting any longer

Congress recently reintroduced the GREEN Act to increase the $7500 Federal Credit eligibility cap for electric cars from 200,000 to 600,000 units. This mean soon companies like Tesla will be able to offer the $7500 Fed Tax Credit again.

Does anyone know if it can be stacked with the $5000 Clean Vehicle Assistance Program grant (CVAP)? If so, soon we should be able to lease a Model 3 in the low $200s including the $1500 Clean Fuel Rebate and the $2000 CVRP.

The federal tax credit does not apply to leases, only purchases. The manufacturer may choose to pass on an incentive that is an equivalent amount, however, they have no obligation to do so. As such, there’s nothing to stack, as the federal tax credit does not apply.

3 Likes

Is Tesla honoring the 1500 CCFR? It’s dealer application required.

I wonder how that could even work if you’re not using a “dealer” model

Tesla was one of the first “dealers” to accept the $1500 CCFR. They advertise and include it in their pricing.

1 Like