Tesla bankruptcy?

Which model though? Why not go pick it up in CA then? Same problem with other manufacturers: they aren’t going to ship an instock unit across the country for you.

I am talking about Model 3 and definitely not flying to CA and driving back to CO for a car when I have a pregnant wife and a toddler at home :slight_smile: My point is that based on what the OA says and people report on the forums, Model 3 inventory is thin and popular configurations are hard to find at the moment indicating healthy demand for Model 3 since production volume seems stable and high.

I just did a search and there are 47 parked around the US, just not where you are. Plenty of other models in stock.

Demand isn’t well matched to the supply anywhere (what I read in UK, EU, Japan), doesn’t necessarily mean there is WAY more demand than supply. If so let’s see a reconciliation on the alleged 300k pre-reservation M3s that never got built/delivered (they stopped discussing deposits/deliveries after the first 100k).

If you want one of those while there is a tax credit you better order it.

What consists of an unpopular configuration for the Model 3, per say?

My guess would be the more expensive ones like a red on white with 19 inch wheels. That would be a $4500 premium for essentially the same car (same range, performance, and software). Solid black should also be less popular given that it is not even a metallic paint but still a $750 upcharge over the multi-coat pearl effect white. Based on the forum posts, US orders are not being filled until December so I guess I was kinda lucky to secure a car to be delivered in 2 weeks…

The ones who lost ~6% of their range in an OTA update (all of them, not just the Model Sssss with problem battery packs)

Looks like I was smart to dump my Model S early on. There’s an issue where the logging of the vehicles have been pushing too much data and burns out flash memory (which has a finite amount of writes it can support before it becomes useless). I had issues with the handles and the touchscreen, but at least the car was usable.

Model 3 ranges have been improved by a few miles, but apparently the cost of the base models have gone up in an attempt to bring in some more cash to the company. They also no longer have the $1k deposit for a vehicle, but instead a $100 non-refundable order fee. I wonder how much of an impact to Tesla’s bottom line that extra $1100 per car will be.

2 Likes

It’s actually been a known issue for more than a year. The first guy who posted about it was attacked incessantly by Tesla fanboys. It’s not a big deal that they made a mistake and they left the logging in debug mode, it’s that they wouldn’t admit it, let it go on for years, and didn’t fix it. There are a bunch of out of warranty model Ssssss that are about to have very expensive repairs.

3 Likes

For some reason, companies find it hard to detect and admit to elementary mistakes

Equifax (EFX) used the word “admin” as both password and username for a portal that contained sensitive information, according to a class action lawsuit filed in federal court in the Northern District of Georgia.
The lawsuit, filed in January, went viral on Twitter Friday after Buzzfeed reporter Jane Lytvynenko came across the detail.
“Equifax employed the username ‘admin’ and the password ‘admin’ to protect a portal used to manage credit disputes, a password that ‘is a surefire way to get hacked,’” the lawsuit reads

1 Like

Oh don’t get me started about Equifax. The day it happened (as we learned more it just got worse) I was SCREAMING they should be:

• immediately put into receivership
  • C-level and senior management fired
  • everyone in Technology who had a direct report fired and banned from ever working in tech again

If corporations are people, and we ever needed to invent a corporate death sentence, it’s for Equifax. Theirs is a worse example because you and I aren’t the customer, we are involuntarily the product.

3 Likes

There is nothing involuntary about it.

Read your account agreements, specifically the sections where you authorize the creditor to report your account info to the credit bureaus.

Imagine how long it would take to get approved for a car lease, credit card, mortgage, etc., if there were no credit bureaus – and you had to supply credit references that had to be verified one at a time.

Credit would be more expensive and decisions would take f o r e v e r .

You can choose to opt out of the entire US credit system. Just pay cash, write checks and use your debit card (I’m told people actually do this).

2 Likes

So basically follow Dave Ramsey.

1 Like

Add another snafu

Mercedes-Benz car owners have said that the app they used to remotely locate, unlock and start their cars was displaying other people’s account and vehicle information.

I know they share hardware with Tesla, but didn’t know about software.

2 Likes

You don’t want to know how much sensitive hardware has the default logins unchanged from deployment. To be fair, some of it was air gapped but that doesn’t help if somebody is physically logging into the system.

Also smart summon continues to show that Tesla thinks of their owners as beta testers:

Hahaha. I love the beginnings of a solid walk of shame at the end.

Does Tesla “genius” software recognize when someone beeps at them?

Yeah, it flips them

1 Like

FYI, Aparently they are doing something right…

Tesla (TSLA) turned a surprise profit in the third quarter, sending shares soaring in after-hours trading.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/23/tesla-tsla-earnings-q3-2019.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-third-quarter-earnings-report-profit-loss-revenue-elon-musk-2019-10

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-3q-2019-earnings-results-191052868.html

1 Like

From what I can tell, they are doing something to the numbers that I can’t figure out how things line up. Looking at the slides they put out to talk about the numbers (https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/47313d21-3cac-4f69-9497-d161bce15da4) I can’t seem to square the following figures:

Q2 2019, delivered 17,722 model S / X and 77,634 model 3. Operational loss is $408 million.
Q3 2019, delivered 17,483 model S / X and 79,703 model 3. Operational profit is $143 million.

So somehow they delivered fewer of their profitable vehicles, more of their cheaper vehicles, and turned around $550 million? Highly doubtful.

I think the only way Tesla can be profitable this quarter is because Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has paid Tesla to join their “emissions pool” in the EU to avoid being fined for failing to met the EU’s new emission standards:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles has agreed to pay Tesla hundreds of millions of euros so the electric carmaker’s vehicles are counted in its fleet in order to avoid large fines for breaking tough new EU emissions rules.

Only way to be really sure is to wait until Tesla puts out their 10-Q document. Until then, yes on paper they had a profitable quarter, but it could be super muddied by a huge influx of cash from outside companies rather than the company itself being profitable.

6 Likes