Tesla bankruptcy?

A supercharger that takes 75 minutes to a full charge?

Imagine the queue at stations for the 250,000,000+ vehicles in the US.

Imagine waiting for a queue on those lines? You are comparing, say, on a very low average, a 30 minute wait to charge your vehicle, versus a 60 second gasoline fill up. Where will the vehicles wait at stations? Will they block the road? Have you ever seen gas queues in times of natural disasters? This would be exponentially worse, and DAILY.

Again, you have 0 refutation against any of my claims.

Agreed that infrastructure is a huge hurdle at this point, and that “fill ups” are a problem compared to a gas engine, and one of the reasons I haven’t jumped on the bandwagon myself yet, but unless you’re filling your tank with 3/4 left, it’s taking a few minutes to fill your tank at least, not 60 seconds. Still much less than a BEV charge.

Likewise, to think 250,000,000 cars will need a charge all at the same time, each and every day is a stretch. Many of those cars aren’t on cross-country trips each day and will be charging at home. Agreed the infrastructure isn’t able to handle a fraction of that at this point, but that is a bit of a leap.

Ever seen parking lots at rest areas? Those could be retrofitted with charging stations. Let’s say now it takes you “60 seconds” to fill up, then you’ll have to drive to a parking lot, go inside to get a Big Mack and a shake, wait in line, take a piss so you’re still stopping for half hour.

You do realize you’re making the same argument people made when we switched from horse carriages to ice vehicles?

1 Like

The arguments are not even close. I don’t understand why you refuse to acknowledge the facts. Are you a liberal?

How do you think people will feel when they have to sit over an hour at a rest stop to charge their vehicle, after spending most of the day at work, and possibly sitting in traffic too. Most people will be unable to charge their cars at home or at a rest stop, unless this is somehow made practical (which I cannot see how this can happen in a city). The only solution would require an extraordinary overhaul of infrastructure that will cost a prohibitive amount of money and time, considering our current technological limitations. The technology is just too soon, and it is a massive waste of investor funds.

2 Likes

You can charge your EV at home with a 240V charger just fine for 99% of peoples daily use. The occasional time you have to take a trip is when you would use a Supercharger. They are also putting more superchargers in, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

You can take a 1,000 mile trip quite easily in a Tesla. There are superchargers along all of the interstates, and yes, you have to stop and charge up for an hour every 200 miles or so, but most people take a break after driving for 3 hours anyway, so it coincides well (although you will have to wait a bit longer to charge up versus normal rest room and fast food stops, but it will likely only be an extra 15 minutes per stop compared to the usual). It takes about 45 minutes to fill up the battery 80%.

Tesla’s new Gigafactory runs on solar power and recycles batteries in house by reusing the good parts, so there isn’t nearly as much waste from throwing them away as there used to be. In addition, although many states currently use coal power plants, everyone is trying and is slowly making the switch to green power plants that run off of hydro, wind, solar or nuclear.

Trucks have to stop and take mandatory breaks every X amount of hours for X amount of hours and can’t drive more than a certain amount of hours in a day anyway. So they’ll spend time charging their trucks (which will have significantly higher range than the EV cars we see at the moment), it’s not a big deal.

I’m not a Tesla fan, but I can admit that they make a fine product (even if they’re charging 7 series money for 3 series interior quality) and EV is definitely the way of the future. Maybe not everyone and everything will be EV, but I don’t see a reason that most people wouldn’t be able to have an EV if it has a 250 miles range or more and takes less than 6 hours to fully charge at home, and 45 minutes to charge 80% at a rest stop or supercharger. How often do you drive more than 250 miles in a day?

The biggest hurdle is lithium mining, but there are new techniques being developed that are cleaner and a company in China claims to have a battery that is more dense than Lithium Ions, yet much cleaner in terms of production and recycling.

Literally, nothing you’ve said is true or significant to any degree. You clearly haven’t looked into this issue for 10 years or so.

6 Likes

Everything that I said is true; I do not believe most of your points - the only acceptable one is that which considers long trips and a need to recharge -it is still an issue of inconvenience and impracticality. Trucks can have a larger capacity, but will require more power to move all that mass and will take even longer to charge a higher capacity battery - which is another issue in itself.

You truly believe solar and wind will replace the power requirements of the US, plus an additional nationwide fleet of EV?
Nuclear power is where we should have been long ago - but this is not happening.
Water? Only in places where it already exists. I would find it hard to believe many more hydro plants can be built, if they weren’t already.
This leaves again, coal and natural gas.

Lithium mining is a bigger issue than you lead on to believe.

How do you propose residents of NYC will charge all of their vehicles? Again…EV are toys for people who live in suburbs.

I am not against the idea of EV, I am against pushing it out too early. There are far more issues that need to be solved. Pushing out an EV is like making a CPU that wont have a motherboard available in a very long time.

1 Like

Ok, BigBeard is a Russian troll, this is the only explanation.

8 Likes

:joy: like it’s the worst thing in world

7 Likes

Based solely on your comments I’m surprised you could find the internet, much less type a comment in a forum.

You comment on EV technology like someone who still uses a flip phone and is still a little upset that your skytel pager won’t work anymore…

But I digress… your points are simply outdated and wrong.

The technology in batteries is a fast evolving field, and at the leading edge lithium is on its way out.

The future is 400kw charging that can charge up to 450 mi. Range in less than 5 min. Granted it’s a few years away, but so where a lot of things we (well, most of us anyway) accept as normal today.

My suggestion would be to do some research on the opposite side of your argument, you may be surprised at what you find out in regards to EV tech. And the rapid ramp up.

But, those are just the thoughts of a EV driving sheep…

Carry on.

5 Likes

These are, like, your opinions. Thousands of drivers have made the jump to ev and mad it work.
You can ignore this reality and turn this into a political battle all you want but evs are here to stay

Is BigBeard one of the guys from the Breitbart Network? He seems to have all the conservative talking points. I guess calling people liberal gives it away huh.

I google this earlier, I believe Tesla outsold Jaguar, Porsche and Volvo in 2017 in the US. I guess that makes them a niche market.

As far as bankruptcy, I wouldn’t concern too much about it. Think about it, Elon Musk and friends and family own close to 1/3 of the company, you think they will just let it light in flames? It makes no sense. This whole bankruptcy chatter came from one hedge fund guy, god knows if he is a short or not. At the end of the day, one of other poster is right that they will likely have to borrow at a much higher interest rate. I also think there will be some sort of major restructure soon to cut cost. Still, with the Model 3 coming alive. If they can just build and finish it, they will be able to rack up 5 billion dollars in revenue. It should help slow the burn, I still don’t think it will stop completely.

I do have 10K in Tesla stocks, hoping for the best :sweat_smile:

1 Like

For some reason, he thinks next week Jesus will drop 250 million EV cars upon us saying: deal with it, you Liberals.

2 Likes

And install a CEO who has a clue about cranking out quality built cars from a factory in mass numbers.

2 Likes

The robots Elon said would allow Tesla to produce hundreds of thousands of Teslas a year may actually be what is holding them back. Lol guess you still need humans for some things.

Let’s see if TSLA stock continues to get murdered today.

Considering most of the 100k were sold in CA, I’d still consider them a niche player. You could argue, however, they are better than niche on the west coast. A little less than 1.5% of all cars sold last year, including Tesla, were EVs. That’s not mainstream…yet. The uptick is slow and gradual, but it’s happening. It won’t be overnight, however.

Obviously a very singular data point, but on my average commute (15 minutes) in suburban st Louis, I see more teslas than jaguar and Porsches combined, probably the same number of newer volvos. I can certainly believe the statistic.

Actually this is a very interesting point coss1600 made. None of these brands are actually stand-alone. volvo is owned by Geely, Porsche by VW automotive group and Jag by tata JLR.

So perhaps it is a sign that we could have Tesla, a subsidiary of XYZ soon?

BigBeard, I just got back from Paris. You know, a place where liberals go to be indoctrinated with fake news. Its a big city, but much older than anything we have in the states so the road systems is no more or less accommodating. They have fleets of charging EVs parked along the sides of narrow roads taking up no more space than a bike lane. You can even rent EVs stashed around the city in key locations for small fees. In the future, driving in urban environments will be achieved as a subscription service no different than how watching a movie involves Netflix, streaming, and a monthly fee. EVs are not just toys for the suburbs, coming soon they’re going to be a major part of big business in the city.

Gotta get out of the bubble. There’s a lot more going on in the world than what the far right tells you.

2 Likes

Outside of Tesla, who is independent or at least not in bed with someone anymore? Mazda and Subie are as close as you can get (off the top of my head), with both being in bed with Toyota at the moment

Geely also owns Lotus, just found out recently :slight_smile: