Tesla bankruptcy?

The press release says “when a semi-tractor trailer pulled out in front of his 2018 Tesla Model 3”. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say the tractor trailer operator/company doesn’t have much in the way of assets and Tesla has deep pockets. This is nuts. The trucker was negligent. Liability should rest with the negligent party not the deep pocketed party.

I believe Tesla’s are less safe than German luxury cars. However, this data is poor. The whole write up explains why the data is insufficient and outdated and it’s by a hedge fund that is shorting Tesla.

Moreover, without demographic data there are too many variables unknown. You need to know the age and sex of drivers as both relate strongly to chance of being involved in a driving fatality. My guess is Teslas are somewhat less safe than the average German luxury car and Tesla drivers are somewhat less risk averse.

The data does show how amazingly safe many German luxury cars are. That part was fascinating.

If you think Tesla is the deep pocketed party, check those pockets again. $5B in cash, $3B in AP, $11B in debt.

Maybe this is someone seeking a payday, maybe it’s someone trying to teach Tesla a lesson. Maybe both. We’ll see.

Musk never cherry picks data to support his story or position. That only happens by conspiracy theorists, haters, trolls, oil lobbyists, shorts, deniers of climate change, the government, little Billy’s 3rd grade teacher or ICE enthusiasts. Did I miss anyone?

6 Likes

Still waiting on that data showing how safe Tesla is.

4 Likes

The truck is from compass leasing. So it’s basically a rental truck, the leasing company Isn’t on the hook just the driver. Based on what I can find online, the drive was an independent operator and presumably has the minimum insurance to meet requirements - which seems to be under 1 million bucks and maybe as low as 300k.

From your previous posts it appears you live in a world with real big numbers for assets. But in the PI world 5 billion cash on hand and a market cap of 43 billion is any PI attorneys wet dream considering that most Americans have the minimum required car insurance and zero assets to satisfy any judgement post trial (normal pattern is accident, trial bankruptcy court).

The data that would satisfy you isn’t publicly available yet. We’ll have to wait a few more years for better data.

For now, we do have things like crash test data, that show Tesla vehicles as the lowest probability of injury of any car ever tested, plus active safety features all standard - many of which are optional features on German cars.

Never said that Tesla was perfect here. I agree with you that Tesla has released misleading statistics/data as well.

I’m not doubting you, I’m just very interested in seeing the source for this. The cash test part specifically because I agree with the safety features as standard. I can’t believe Mercedes still charges $500 for blind spot detection and thousands more for lane assist etc. Those are standard features on cheap Nissan

I believe in the short to medium term the data is always going to look bad for Tesla.

It’s just the nature of their demographics. Several model three variants provide affordable access to insane performance.

See this list of cars with the most deaths. It’s all tiny cars and then the challenger leading the pack. Not cause challenger is inherently unsafe but because someone buying cheap heaps of horsepower probably isn’t, statistically speaking, the safest driver.

1 Like

Sure, here is one source.

1 Like

You posters are referring to different things.

To get probability of being injured in a particular car multiply (Tesla car model probability of injury in a given accident) times (the higher tesla probability of being in an accident).

Tesla does well on the first item but does poorly on the second.

Tesla makes the safest car ever made” - Elon Musk, 2006-2019

Well, there you have it.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Sure there have been a few accidents with Auto Pilot but I’d guess they represent a tiny minority of Tesla accidents.

As such, you can’t say “the higher tesla probability of being in an accident.” Barring catastrophic technical failure, it is the driver that results in an accident. Blaming the car for the higher than normal accident rate is like blaming the challenger for it’s higher than normal death rate. It has little to do with the car and much to do with the driver.

1 Like

It has everything to do with the branding of autopilot lulling users into a false sense of security, that’s what pisses me off.

4 Likes

Tesla resorts to giving out free unlimited supercharging again to goose Model S / Model X sales.

2 Likes

I can get behind that. If only they leased well…

What do u think of buying it outright?

Let’s consider that I lease because I’ve gotten bit on out of warranty repairs in the past.

Now increase that risk significantly when you have no aftermarket and are dealing with a manufacturer that has not only supply chain issues but also forces you to use their shops for maintenance and repairs.

I’m thinking no dice on a purchase.

4 Likes

I think those door handles alone are 1,000 apiece (going off memory, but it wasn’t cheap) out of warranty.

According to eBay, $150 a pop.